You Became a Star in My Night Sky

It was a starry sky and we were watching how the ensemble of pretty little dots twinkle through the mesh roof of our tent when I realized how peaceful the whole scene was. Or more appropriately, how peaceful I felt.

Just you and me lulled by the symphony of midnight bugs and cicadas, blanketed by the darkness of night. It felt like I was listening to an old, classic jazz vinyl as you were pointing out which stars form which constellation and you held me spellbound. Your voice, and your heartbeat I kept on failing not to hear due to our extremely close proximity, sent sweet melodies to my own uncontrollably beating heart. I remember wishing for that night to not see an end. But all things do. Even the good ones. So, it did. We did.

You were my peace. Until you became my chaos. The inch of a distance that separated us became a few hundred meters as we went back to what we were before; strangers. An extra playing a small role of a passerby in each other's stories. I can still hear your voice but I can't talk to you anymore. I can see you, but I can't reach you like I did before.

I loved watching the stars with you. And in the night sky of my life, you became one of the stars. So in moments I succumb to myself and admit that I miss you, I go as far as I can from you and then look back and hold out my hand, like what we did with the twinkling dots before, and pretend that I am able to hold you like you are mine again.