Chapter 12

He had not been out of his palace that rests in the hidden mountain range since he had woke from his three hundred thousand years of slumber. He was restless and eager to get back to some type of normalcy. His plans were slowly falling into place especially with his unborn son thriving and developing fast every day. He was tired of hiding.

As a reward for the efforts his advisors had taken on his behalf...including during his long slumber, he rented out the balcony portion of the little tavern that was nestled in the center of the small village not too far from his hidden abode. He wanted to relive his youthful days where he indulged in the mortal realm taverns and tea houses and played in the mortal realm brothels and bath houses.

After the food had been served and the wine poured, Zhao Wang had not been this relaxed in a very long time. Watching his most trusted men letting loose around him, reminded him of the old days.

"To the good luck that will be bestowed among us, and to the good fortune that will follow", he cheered as another round and wine and spirits were served.

However out of all the smiling faces in the tavern, there was one lone boy with a sour look on his face.

He stood out.

After doing a quick scan, Zhao Wang discovered this was no ordinary boy, but an immortal.

"Interesting" He thought..."Xi Wu?"

"Yes my lord"

"That golden haired boy", Zhao Wang used his eyes to point to the right lower level of the tavern..."he is an immortal. Go assess and bring him to me" Zhao Wang could tell he boy was no threat, from the ten empty bottles of wine and the solemn look on his face, the boy must be drinking away some type of sorrow.

His instincts told him to reach out to the boy, and so he will.

...

One could not help but notice how distractingly handsome the boy was. Zhao Wang had noticed his fine delicate frowning features instantly in the sea of smiling faces. Wen Chang approached the large table slowly...having an unsteady gait no doubt due to his hearty drinking. Xi Wu walked by his side in case he needed to offer his assistance.

Wen Chang plopped down with a thud on the offered chair as he looked upon his inviting host with glazed over inebriated eyes and graced him with a brilliant smile.

"Luck is on my side tonight oh gracious host, I had just run out of wine and money!" Wen Chang's glassy eyes zoned in on the wine cup being offered to him.

"Think nothing of it boy, we invited you to our party, seems like you could use some cheering up?" Xi Wu chimed in while never taking his eyes off of Zhao Wang.

"Indeed boy. Is it not proper to tell us your name before you gobble our wine?" Zhao Wang said with laughter in his voice, he didn't know this boy but something about him...he liked him.

"Oh yes, yes... I am Wen Chang"...he slurred, and forgetting he was in the mortal realm blurted out "of the golden eagle clan"

"Awh...A golden eagle, aren't you on the wrong side of the realms?" Zhao Wang was sure the boy didn't understand he has just told on himself. Most mortals would not have caught on, there were no known animals clans amongst them. From what he remembered from the eagle clan, they were neither light nor dark, but mostly a righteous bunch. The eagles were fearless never surrendering to its opponents no matter the size or strength. They were loyal, nurturing, and tenacious...so why was the boy drowning himself?

"What has you troubled so Wen Chang" Zhao Wang would not normally care but he had to admit to himself he was curious... the boy had grabbed his attention.