Chapter 4

I had been staying with Peter and Aunt May for a few days now. But today was the day I would be going to school.
The three of us had gone out shopping for some real clothes for me. Peter showed me all of the new trends and insisted that Aunt May didn't have quite the best taste in clothing. But it's honestly much better than mine.
Luckily, thanks to Peter, I was able to keep my secret from Aunt May of being, well, from space.

"So how do we get there?" I asked Peter. He stuffed a few textbooks into his backpack and slung it over his shoulder.
He grabbed another backpack and handed it to me. It was a small red backpack with black zippers.
"We're gonna take the train." Peter answered. I stared at the brown haired boy in confusion.
"The what?"
"The train." He repeated. "Don't worry. Just follow me and you'll be fine." I nodded to show I understood. But in reality, I was more confused than ever before.
"Relax Y/n. You'll be alright." Peter insisted. "Now come on. We gotta go." Peter grabbed my hand and gently pulled me from his room.
"Bye Aunt May!" He yelled as we raced out of his apartment.
We ran down the street and into a large crowd of people. They were getting onto a large vehicle.
"How can so many people fit into that thing?"
"It's actually pretty spacious." Peter said with a smile.
We walked onto the train and found a spot towards the middle. Peter reaches his hand up and grabbed a handle just above him.
Suddenly, the train started to move. My body lurched back and into Peter.
"You alright?"
"Yeah yeah. I'm fine." I insisted, pushing myself back up. Peter gently took my hand in his as we rode the rest of the way to his school.
~~~~~
We arrived at another station, similar to the one before. We got off the train made our way to the campus.
I had a backpack strap in each hand, slightly swinging them back and forth.
"Welcome to Midtown School of Science and Technology. Nervous?" Peter asked as we finally made it to the school.
"More than ever." I responded. My eyes lingered upon the sign at the top of the main building.
"Come on. We gotta go to the office." I followed Peter into the building and down the hallway. I could feel eyes on me from all angles. It made me tense up a bit as we walked into the office.
"Hello Mr. Parker. How can I help you?" The woman at the counter questioned.
"I'm here to get our new student's schedule." Peter explained.
"Right. Let me go get everything." She said before leaving the room.
"How did you even manage to get me into this school?" I whispered.
"Let's just say, I can hack a few things." He said with a twinkle in his eyes.
The woman came back with a small stack of paper and a small card. "Just fill these out and you can go to class. And this is your temporary student I.D. just until we get you situated. Mr. Parker can take you to class once you're done."
"Thank you." I said.
Peter and I sat down into some of the nearby chairs and I began to fill out all of the papers.
"And done." I said a few minutes later.
"Really? Already?"
"Well, I mean, I did lie on most of this." I explained. Peter chuckled to himself as I handed everything back to the woman.
"Here's your schedule. I'm sure Mr. Parker can show you around."
"Thanks." I took the slip of paper from the woman and walked out of the office.
"Looks like we've got every class together. Isn't that a coincidence." Peter smiled.
"Honestly, I'm glad. I don't think I could survive this without you."
We stood in the empty hallway for what felt like eternity, just gazing into each others eyes.
"Come on. We better get going." Peter said through the silence.
"Yeah...yeah." I mumbled.

We walked through the empty hallway and into one of the classrooms. The man at the front turned his head, along with many younger kids on the other side.
"Mr. Parker. You're late."
"Sorry Mr. Sam. I-uh-I this is our new student and I have to show her around." Peter explained.
"Oh alright. Why don't you introduce yourself." The teacher insisted as he gestured me towards him.
"Umm. My name is Y/n and I'm from California." I explained.
"Well, Y/n. Why don't you take a seat next to Peter." I gave a simple nod and took a seat next to Peter at one of the tables.
"So Peter, what are we learning?" I whispered.
"Chemistry. Don't worry, you'll pick up quick." Peter smiled. "And how do you know about California?"
"I took a peak at your map and it was the only one I could remember." I explained.
~~~~~
"So we just get in line?"
"Yep. And don't worry, the food isn't as bad as it looks." Peter insisted. The woman scooped a spoon full of some kind of mush into my plate.
"Are you sure about that?" I muttered in disgust.
"I'm sure whatever you eat would make me feel disgusted as well."
"I mean, you aren't wrong." Peter led me to one of the nearby tables with a kind looking boy occupying it.
"Hey Ned."
"Hey Peter. Who's this?" The boy asked.
"This is my uh-friend Y/n. She's a new student."
"Really? This late in the year?"
"They had to make an exception for my situation." I explained.
"Oh well it's nice to meet you Y/n."
"It's wonderful to meet you as well Ned."
Ned smiled and took a bite of his sandwich.
"Peter. Did you hear about the thing that fell from space the other day?" Ned asked with wide eyes which were full of excitement.
Peter looked at me hesitantly before shaking his head.
"Nope." He answered.
"Really? It's all over YouTube. Here, let me show you." Ned said pulling out his phone. He quickly pulled up a video on his phone and showed it to Peter and I.
And there I was, falling from the sky. I hit the ground with a crash and cement went flying.
"I-uh-I gotta go." I said. I rushed out of the cafeteria and to a nearby bathroom.
I looked at myself in the mirror and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. My head hanging itself over the sink.

Everything was just happening so fast. Just a few days ago, I was playing a card game that Quill had taught us with the other guardians and now I'm sitting in a school on earth and watching people playing the same card game at the table next to us.
"This is so surreal." I mumbled. I glanced into the mirror one last time before leaving the bathroom.
"Y/n? Are you okay?" I small voice questioned from behind me.
"Oh Peter. Yeah I'm alright. It's just weird being here, you know?"
"I mean, I can't totally relate but I understand that's it's hard to get used to something knew. I had to get used to being...well...you know..."
"Yeah, yeah." I said with a small chuckle.
"Just stick with me and you'll be alright. And today's almost over. Tomorrow will be a breeze-"
I suddenly stopped dead in my tracks. I looked up into Peter's eyes. "What's wrong?" He asked. A tone of worry washing over him.
"We have to come back tomorrow?!" I cried. Peter laughed as I complained.
"Well, it's kinda the law." He laughed.
"That law is stupid." I insisted, crossing my arms.
"I know Y/n." Peter smiled wrapping an arm around my shoulder as we made our way to our next class.