Chapter 18

BEEP BEEP BEEP
My body lurched upward as I gasped for breath. Sweat dripped from my forehead and down my neck. Flashes of my nightmare filled my vision. "Peter." I whispered.
I tossed my the blanket off and jumped off my bed, quickly running down the hall and to Peter's closed door. Quietly laying my hand on the doorknob, I turned it to open the door.
Peter laid on his bed, sleeping peacefully, safe and sound. A toothless grin spread across my lips. His quiet snores muffled from the pillow and his hair stuck out every which way.
"Hey." Someone said as they laid their hand on my shoulder.
"What the hell!" I whisper yelled, turning around to see Quills eyes looking into mine.
"Sorry Red." He whispered in return. "Do you think we could talk?"
"Uh yeah, sure." I quietly closed the door behind me and followed Quill into the kitchen.
"What's up?" I questioned while grabbing a glass of water. "So, that Peter guy-"
"Please don't go all 'dad mode' on him please. I really like him." I scoffed.
"What do you mean 'dad mode?'"
"Remember Alt Brunk from Xander?"
"That boy dated you so he could lure us all in. Y/n, he tried to kill us!" Quill argued. "If anything my actions saved us."
"You tried to kill him!" I yelled.
"Only to save you! To save us! And I don't want to have to do it again. But seeing as how dangerous this Peter Parker is, he's not gonna get so lucky."
"Peter is not dangerous!" I insisted.
"Then how is it that every time you guys are together, you end up fighting?"
"Yeah, fighting bad guys! Not each other! Quill he's a good kid."
"I don't give a damn about what you think about him. We came to Earth to take you home!" Quill explained.
"Home? What home? We live on a ship Quill! A god damn ship! I'm happy here Quill. I feel at home here. Queens is my home. Peter is my home." I cried. Quill rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.
"I DON'T TRUST HIM!" Quill yelled.
"BUT I LOVE HIM!" I screamed. Quill took a step back. "You-you what?"
"I love him." I repeated.
"Really?" A voice spoke from around the corner.
"I really do." I insisted with a smile. I made my way over to Peter with open arms. Peter pulled me into his embrace and onto his lips.
He laid his forehead on mine and smiled. "I love you too." He whispered.
The loud sound of the door closing made us both jump. "Is he going to be okay?"
"Yeah, he'll get over it." I insisted. "At least, I hope he will."
~~~~~
We waited all day for Quill to come back. But he never did.
"Is someone gonna go after him? Come up with a plan of some kind?" Rocket questioned.
"Quill was the one who always came up with the plans." Gamora explained.
"Yeah, him and his twelve percent plans." Rocket scoffed.
"Stop it Rocket." Gamora snapped.
"Well if we had actually stuck to the plan to take Y/n once we found her none of this would have even happened.
"Well in case you haven't noticed, Rocket, things don't always go as planned."
"This is all my fault." I whispered to Peter. He linked his hand to mine and shook his head.
"This isn't your fault love. You're following your heart. He just needs to understand that." Peter explained. I nodded my head, wiping a tear rolling down my cheek.
"Y/n." Gamora spoke with a gentle tone. I lifted my head and met her sorrowful eyes.
"It's going to be alight. We'll find him. I promise." I nodded along to Gamora's words.
"What if we split into teams?" Tony finally spoke. "The kids and I can be one team and you four can be another."
"That's good to me." Drax grunted.
"Alright. Everyone suit up." Tony ordered. A puzzled expression flashed across Peter's face.
"Wait, Mr. Stark?" Peter questioned. "Won't people think it's weird that a green girl and a talking raccoon are walking around?"
"I'm not a raccoon." Rocket argued, but was simply ignored.
"Well Gamora and Drax can say they came from some kind of-uh-Star Wars convention. One of them could carry the tree and the other can home the raccoon as a stuffed animal. Or build-a-bear if you would."
"I'm not a raccoon!" Rocket yelled.
"Thanks Tony for the ideas. But we'll figure something out." Gamora insisted. She gave me a tight hug before we all parted ways.
"I really hope we find him." I said, thinking back to the nightmare I had from the night before.
"Me too Y/n." Peter whispered.
~~~~~
We searched through the night. Looking everywhere we could. None of us had heard a thing from the rest of the Guardians.
We checked the streets, many buildings, and even as high as we could in the sky, until we could go no higher. Though Quill had his jet boot attachments, he wouldn't leave the rest of the Guardians behind. Wouldn't he?
"He'll turn up Y/n. Maybe he just needs some time." Peter insisted.
"I don't know Peter. I just have this feeling like something's wrong." I explained, reaching for the handle of the door at the Avengers base. "Quill wouldn't leave everyone behind. No matter how hurt he is. It just doesn't sound like something he would do.
"Who knows? Maybe the rest of the Guardians found him and just haven't contacted us." Peter explained. As he spoke, I noticed a piece of paper on the counter. "What's that?" Peter asked as I picked up the paper, holding it with both my hands.
"It's a letter from Gamora." I answered.

"Dear Y/n,
   We found Quill. He just needed some time to think. We tried to convince him to go back to the Avengers headquarters with the rest of us but he said he didn't want to go back. I'm sorry Y/n. We'll return back to earth one day. Please help him by not contacting. He'll come back when he's ready."
                                                 ~Gamora

"Why are these words darker than the others?" I questioned.
"I don't know Y/n. But now we know where they are." Peter said, wiping the tears dripping down my cheeks.
"I can't believe they just up and left."
"I know love." Peter pulled my into his arms and I laid my head in his chest. "Let's get to bed. You've had a long day."
"Hey Peter?" I mumbled. "Yes Love?"
"Do you think I could sleep with you tonight?"
"Of course." Peter yelled out his hand and led me to his room.
"Does Aunt May know we're staying here for one more night?"
"I let her know. Don't worry." Peter handed me one of his shirts to sleep in. I tucked myself under the covers until only my head showed.
Peter stripped down to his boxer and hopped into bed.
Pulling me towards him, I laid my head on his bare chest. "It's going to be okay Y/n." He whispered. Peter gently played with my hair, brushing it behind my ear. "I just have this feeling, you know, that something's wrong."
"It's like my spidey senses." Peter chuckled.
"Yeah, I guess so." I smiled along. Peter gently lifted my chin and placed a  kiss on my lips. "Just try not to worry my love. I know it may be hard. I know you want to protect everyone but this is something he needs to handle."
"I'm sorry I dragged you into all this Peter."
"There's no need to be sorry. I honestly think I set myself up for this one, you know, with letting you stay in my apartment, and taking you to my school and-"
"Alright, alright. I get it." I giggled.
"We'll get this settled in the morning. For now, just focus on getting a good nights rest."
"Yeah, alright."
"I love you Y/n. With all my heart."
"Love you too Peter."