Chapter 4

Kate and I drove the rest of the way to Spokane, listening to music and talking. I tried to push the situational stress from my mind. I knew that i could not do anything till i arrived at the AirBnB anyway. I let the AirBnB host know that i would be arriving late and they were ok with that. Kate and I arrived in Spokane around 8 pm. We used her phone GPS to find the location of the house. It was located in an older residential area. The house was a White Bungalow that looked like it was built in the 70's but well-maintained. The lawn was recently cut and there was a small flower bed in front of the The area was quiet, just what i needed to start my new life. I walked up to the front door of the white bungalow and knocked on the door. A girl that looked to be in her early 30's with natural blonde hair came to the door. She was about 5 "5 with a medium build, definitely not athletic but not overweight either. She was wearing a t-shirt and pajama pants.

"Are you Ana?" She asked

"Yes" I answered

"I should introduce myself. I'm stacey. Do you want to see the room?" She asked with a light, friendly demeanor.

"Yes, i'd love to" I answered

Stacey opened the door and Kate and I took off our shoes and walked inside. The room was at the end of the hall. It was a small square shaped room, furnished with a single bed, a night table, a dresser and a desk in the corner. After she showed us the room she gave Kate and I a tour of the house. The living room had two black leather couches and a 50" TV mounted on the far wall. The kitchen had white cabinets with matching appliances. She showed us the other rooms, then the Rumpus room in the basement.

"I see that you booked the AirBnB for a whole month, what are your plans in Spokane?" She asked

"A fresh start" I replied being purposefully vague.

"You booked the room for one person, are you both staying?" Stacey asked trying to get as much information as possible

"NO, Kate is my best friend. She's just dropping me off" I said "I'm just going to go get my bags from the car, i'll be right back"

Kate and I walked out to the car to get my luggage. We both looked at each other with sorrow in our eyes as though it was the last time that we were going to see each other.

"Kate, it's late. I can ask Stacey but i think that you should stay over night and drive back in the morning" I said worried.

"I'm so glad you suggested that because i definitely don't want to be driving alone late at night on an unfamiliar road" She said giving me a big hug.

Kate and I walk back to the house and asked Stacey if it was ok if Kate stayed the night. Stacey was an amazing hostess. She provided Kate with blankets and a pillow. She made us sandwiches and coffee. Stacey was very friendly and easy to get along with. We learned that Stacy had a 3 year old son, who lived with her part time. She worked full time as a hairdresser and found making bills very hard, so she put the extra bedroom on AirBnB. I explained to her that i was going to need a place to stay for more than a month and if she was agreeable that i would pay monthly. She seemed just as thrilled. That way she didn't have to have a revolving door of guests that she didn't know. Kate slept in my room on a cot on the floor. I found it impossible to sleep. The stress of Christian and the uncertainty of my new life, felt like a tonne of bricks weighing on my chest. I struggled to breath, it felt like torture.

I managed to get 3 hours of sleep, which left me feeling anything but refreshed. Kate woke up at 8 AM. She wanted to make sure that she would be back as soon as possible so that she could explain everything to Elliot and go on with her life in Seattle. She promised to check in with me regularly and i told her that i would get a pay as you go phone and call her with the number. She took down Stacey's home number just in case, then she was off. I stood at the door watching her pull out of front driveway. I smiled and waved as Kate drove off, but inside i felt so alone. I hope that i'm able to do this on my own.