Chapter 9

I woke up the next morning with a fresh mind ready to start my day. I had made myself a To-Do list before i went to bed to make sure that i had all my basis covered. First thing i needed was a job. I was initially hesitant about trying to get my job back at SIP but i loved my job and i wanted to go back there if i could. I took a deep breath and decided to call Christian. After all he was my boss's boss's boss, he could have me reinstated if he wanted to. I wouldn't get my job back if i didn't ask, so i gave him a call.

RING!

"Good Morning Anastasia" Greeted Christian

"Good morning, Christian. I need to ask you for something" I replied trying to get to the point.

"What can i do for you?" Christian hesitated "Are you asking me for your job back at SIP?"

"Yes i am" I answered "You read my mind"

"It's not hard. You need a job and i know you deeply regret leaving" Christian replied "Take the rest of the week off and I will let the know you will be starting back as fiction editor on Monday"

"Is it just that easy?" I asked "isn't there someone covering. Don't they need to be notified?"

"The job has always been yours. When you left, the staff was a both shocked and confused. They wanted answers. I told them that you were studying overseas. I can assure you that you will not feel out of place or embarrassed once you return" Christian explained.

I was not at all thrilled with what Christian had done. He lied to the staff without telling me. He wanted to avoid the embarrassment of tell everyone that i left him, it was more about him than me. He certainly wasn't doing it for my benefit. Sometimes i hated how he turned a controlling action into a unique way of "taking care of me". I needed a job right away, so my old fiction editor job would do. I was nervous about Christian making surprise appearances. He tended to be over baring. He has embarrassed me more than once during a meeting and that was when our relationship was better. If our relationship is going to work he is going to need to stop trying to control me, plain and simple.

Christian said that i could start my job on Monday but i was still nervous as hell. I wondered what everyone would say. What everyone would think. Would everyone buy Christian's story about me leaving to study overseas? I wanted to work in a place where Christian wasn't my boss but SIP was the best publishing house in Seattle. I knew that any job that i pursued would be with a smaller publishing house and the pay would be much less. Christian probably knew that too, again Christian found a way to exert his control over me. He was suffocating me, but at this point i needed his help.

I spent over an hour getting ready, trying to look presentable. I didn't want to attract more attention that i already had. I felt like i was in a trace as i drove my car to SIP for the first time in 4 months. Carefully practicing what i would say to each question that i was anticipating. I walked into the building, head held high, heels clacking with each step. I sighed deeply before entering the building, I felt like all eyes were on me as i walked to my old office at the end of the office. Not one employee said a word to me as i walked into the office. They all seemed to preoccupied to care. I closed the door taking another deep breath before completely closing the door behind me. Looking around i could see that with the exception of a few manuscripts it was just as i left it. Was this Christian's doing i wonder? I walked over to my old desk running my fingers across the surface. No dust! Someone has been at this desk recently.

"Can i get you a coffee Mrs. Grey?" Hannah asked opening the door a crack

"Sure" I answered "2 cream"

"Sure thing Mrs. Grey" Hannah replied closing the door "Just to let you know there are 3 scripts for you too read on your desk. I can book an appointment with the authors if you want to go forward"