Saito Hajime •|Restraint|•

"Hajime-kun!" You ran toward said male and waved your hands ferociously. As you browsed around the street stalls, the familiar tuff of hair had caught your attention.

"(Y/n)...?" He uttered your name, in disbelief that you were running towards him.

Saito and you had been friends ever since his appearance at Shiei Hall. In fact, that was where you initially met most of the Shinsengumi men—and you hadn't seen them in years.

"Surprise!" You embraced him into a warm hug. Bystanders looked on curiously at your peculiar actions. They usually tried to avoid the Shinsengumi.

"(Y-y-y/n)!" He squeaked out, trying to maintain his stoic demeanor. "Doing such a thing in public... and to a Shinsengumi member..."

"It's okay, isn't it? I haven't seen you in years." You pouted, releasing him from the hug but still standing right in front of him. He was able to regain his composure. "By the way, can you take me to your headquarters? I seem to be lost."

"Follow me." He nodded as he began to walk away. You grabbed his hand as he walked toward headquarters, and this action caught him off guard. "W-What are you doing?"

"Hajime-kun, I missed you a lot." You squeezed his hand, your eyes lowering to the ground out of embarrassment. He stayed quiet and repositioned your hand to his sleeve instead. It wouldn't look good for him if he was caught being intimate with a woman in public.

After arriving to the Shinsengumi's headquarters, you were warmly greeted with welcoming smiles from the captains.

"Man. It's nice to have a woman around." Shinpachi sighed in relief. "Too much testosterone isn't good for me."

"Hey, (y/n)! How have you been?" Kondou gave you a pat on the head. "You've grown since I last saw you at Shiei Hall!" He had nostalgic tears in his eyes.

"Yeah. She's grown from a tomboy into a plain woman." Okita teased.

"Was that supposed to be a compliment?" You laughed at his statement. "You always sucked at those." Saito silently eyed your exchange with the brunette.

Hijikata chimed in, "Even though (y/n)'s here, let's not forget our duties. Saitou and Souji will continue with their patrol." He announced, waving his hand in the air to excuse the two men.

"Yes." Saito obediently bowed, exiting the room. He was oblivious to your eyes that sadly watched him leave.

~*~

Upon Saito's return, he sighed. It was simply another long, boring night of patrol. Nothing exciting caught his eye and nothing particularly interesting happened.

Okita invited him for a few shots before they rested.

As he headed toward his room, the male noticed a feint light coming from the inside. "What?"

Saito quickly slid the door open, and found a scene that he wasn't expecting. You lay on your back in his futon with the blanket half thrown off, one of your bare legs exposed to the air. Saito quickly entered and shut the door behind him, hoping that no one else had seen you.

He adjusted the blanket so that you were fully covered and then proceeded to wake you up. "Hey, (y/n)." He shook your shoulders gently.

No matter how comfortable you were around him, he couldn't help that he was still a man. Worldly thoughts were going to flood his mind the longer you stayed in his room. "(Y/n), you're in the wrong room." He mumbled, still shaking your shoulders.

"Hmm?" You rubbed your eyes, sitting up and supporting yourself with one arm. "Hajime-kun? Welcome back~" You cooed as your pushed your hair out of your face.

"W-What?" He was confused, trying to keep his eyes from your kimono that was slipping off your shoulder. He could no longer keep his cool. "You shouldn't be in here."

"Why? I told them that I would wait for you and Souji to get back." You yawned. He was thrown aback by the mention of Okita's name but brushed it off. "They told me to wait in here."

He began to understand what was happening. They were setting him up. "Ah, I see." He blushed at your exposed skin but maintained his usual expression. "Thank you for the warm welcome back. I will sleep elsewhere."

Before he could get up, you clutched onto his sleeve. "Wait." You stopped him. "Can you just stay with me... for a little while?"

He wanted to say no, and that it wasn't going to be safe for you, but he gave in. "Okay. Is something the matter?" Saito asked you, staying as stoic as ever.

"Yeah." You sighed trying to muster up an excuse to stay with him longer. One thing popped into your mind but it was pretty lame. "This is a big place, I'll be scared sleeping by myself."

"Is that so?" He genuinely considered it for a moment.

"No." You interrupted his thinking with a sigh. "You know Hajime-kun... you're clueless."

"What? About what?" He asked, averting his gaze, unable to keep eye contact with you. For some odd reason, your clothes lowered more and more each time he glanced at you.

"About this," you tugged on his clothing and flipped his body down onto the futon. You made your way on top of him as if you were sparring, and then proceeded to pecked his cheek. "I've had feelings for you for quite some time and I've noticed your feelings for me too. But I think it wasn't obvious enough for you."

Saito was as stiff as a log. A true, blushing mess caught off guard by your actions.

"Are you speechless because you know I'm right? Or because I've assumed wrong?" You frowned, looking down at him. He wasn't giving you any response.

"I'm speechless only because you keep tempting me and I'm trying to restrain myself." He was unwavering. "But if you insist. Allow me to show you how that move is really supposed to be done." He flipped you over so that you were below him and then he began to spill his thoughts. "I believed you had feelings for Souji. So I refused to say anything to you about my own, but now I know I was wrong." He blushed, staring at you earnestly.

Your blush deepened as he lowered his face. "Hajime-kun. Did you drink?" You asked, smelling his breath. This put a halt to his advances.

"I had a few with Souji upon our return." He admitted.

"I see. No wonder you're so into it today." You smiled, running a hand through his soft locks in order to pull him closer.