Toudou Heisuke •|A Secret|•

Courtesy of @1241992BTS

~~~~~

You stood on a bridge, looking over the side at a mirrored image of yourself through the water. The night was silent, not even the wind interrupted your thoughts.

Footsteps were heard from behind you and you excitedly turned to face the familiar person.

"Heisuke!" You jumped into his welcoming arms, almost knocking him over.

"Shhhh!" He pulled away and raised an index finger to his lips.

You quickly covered your mouth with both hands. "Oops."

Heisuke chuckled at your apologetic expression. "So cute." He pulled you into his chest and stroked the top of your head.

"Mmmm." You took in his gentle scent. "Heisuke, I missed you."

"I-I missed you too." You could hear the fluster in his voice. He cleared his throat to regain his composure. "Anyway, how about we go somewhere new for a change?"

Heisuke took your hand, leading you someplace else. He tried to match your pace. After a good amount of walking, Heisuke plopped down beside a large tree on the outskirts of town.

"Come." He gently tugged your hand downward, placing you next to him. You were surprised by this gentlemanly side of him.

"You're acting very mature tonight. How was your day today?" You asked, touching his long, slender fingers.

He sighed and relaxed. "It was so boring~" You smiled at this. "Tell me why Shin kept stealing my food."

"There's the Heisuke I know." You giggled. It was obvious that he wanted to act adult-like around you, but his true self, the childish him, was what drew you to him.

"What?" He stared at you. "I wanted to act all cool and stuff but it's so hard because the only person I can talk to like this is you."

Your heart skipped a beat. "I know." You felt him rest his head on your shoulder. "Hey, when can I meet your friends?" You asked. "You always talk about them, but it would be nice to put the names to faces."

"Eh? Don't you see them when they patrol the streets?" Heisuke asked.

"Yeah, but when I see them in the streets I don't know their names." You twirled a lock of his hair around your fingers.

"I don't want you to meet them." Heisuke mumbled.

"What was that?" You honestly didn't hear him.

"I said I don't want you to meet them." He repeated a little louder.

"Why?" You were shocked at his immediate rejection.

"You're too pretty." Heisuke pouted. "They're like a pack of wolves. I don't want you to be taken from me."

He turned to face you and held your hands in his own. Before he could say anything, the both of you heard a twig snap.

"Come out." Heisuke declared as the both of you stood up. His hand reached for his sword.

"Woah kid, relax." An auburn-haired man stepped out from the bushes, and a brunette in green followed.

"Sano? Shin?" Heisuke eased up. "What are you doing following us around? Old perverts."

You chuckled at his words.

"Just making sure you don't make the pretty lady over there cry." Shinpachi smirked and crossed his arms over his chest. "But if you do, I'll swoop in and be Prince Charming."

"Hah?" Heisuke was noticeably offended. "(Y/n) is mine!"

"Relax Heisuke, we just wanted to see why you kept sneaking out at night, but it seems like you have a good reason." Sanosuke scratched the back of his neck. "I feel bad that we rained on your parade. But based on what she said earlier, she wanted to meet us anyway. Why don't you let her swing by headquarters?"

"No." Heisuke still declined.

"Why?" You asked, a twisting sensation occurred in your chest. All eyes fell on you. "Do you want to keep me a secret so badly?" Tears welled up in your eyes. "Your friends are here inviting me to meet everyone but you keep declining. Why?"

"(Y/n)... I-" Heisuke was speechless. Seeing your hurt expression made his heart ache.

"Shinpachi, let's go." Sanosuke tapped his shoulder, tearing him apart from the scene in front of them. "Just trust that he'll do the right thing."

Said man nodded and slipped away from the two of you.

"Why do we have to keep our relationship a secret, Heisuke?" You bit your lip to keep you from bursting into tears.

Heisuke walked toward you and wrapped his arms around your frame. "Because it's safer for you." He whispered tenderly.

"Safer?" You tried to pull away but his grip was too strong.

"You know, the Shinsengumi doesn't have a good reputation right now. There are people out there looking for ways to hurt us. I don't want for you to be one..." You felt him shudder at the thought. "I can't even think about losing you."

"I see." You rubbed his back, beginning to understand his complex feelings. "So when will we tell your friends about us?"

"Well... Shinpachi has a big mouth so I bet that by the time I return to headquarters, everyone will know." The brunette sighed.

"So what do we do now?" You pulled away from him, staring into his mesmerizing aqua orbs.

"I-I guess I'll bring you to meet the guys." He sighed in defeat and patted the top of your head. A rosy tint coloring his cheeks. "But if you're going to be visiting. Make sure it's me who retrieves you from the gate and walks you home. I want to do all I can to protect you."

"Yeah!" You nodded ecstatically. "I wouldn't have it any other way!"

~~~~~

I hope you liked it~