Saito Hajime •|A Different Type of Battle|•

Requested by: @JustAEcho 

Hope you enjoy it!

~~~~~

"Hey, hey (Y/n)~" Heisuke slung one of his arms over your shoulder, "Don't you like me?" He was obviously drunk.

You pushed his arm off and began to walk faster, ignoring his question.

"Hey! Where are you going?" He ran after you, stumbling along the way.

"I'm going back to headquarters." You turned to face him and an annoyed look fell over your features. "Hurry up and come so that I can go back to Shimabara (the red light district) to get Hajime-kun."

"Eh?" The male whined. "Can't you just take care of me?"

"No," you shook your head and then continued to walk away. "You guys give me headaches."

Just a bit earlier in the day, the Shinsengumi's youngest two members decided to have a drinking competition. They managed to sneak out of headquarters and over to Shimabara for their battle. Yamazaki noticed the men were missing, but he didn't report the situation. Instead, he alerted you so that you could retrieve them without getting caught. Once you arrived, Heisuke pleaded to be the first that you took home. So here you were, walking back with Heisuke.

Arriving at headquarters, you sighed inwardly. Yamazaki met you at the front gate, taking Heisuke from you. "I'll return him to his room and then meet up with you to follow you and Saito-san home." He stated.

"No, it's okay. Hajime-kun looked like he didn't have that much to drink, so I think I'll be fine with him. Just return Heisuke to his room and then you're free to go. Thanks for looking out for these two, Yamazaki-san." You bowed so that your torso was parallel to the floor, you felt sincerely sorry for any trouble the Shinsengumi may have caused him.

"Thank you for agreeing to bring them home." He nodded. Yamazaki threw Heisuke's arm over his shoulder so that he could support Heisuke's drunk staggering.

"Thank ya (Y/n)~" Heisuke mumbled, just about ready to plop on the floor.

You watched the two leave, and then headed back the same way that you came, keeping an ear out for your surroundings. It wasn't uncommon for women to be attacked while walking alone, and Saito stressed that you should always be cautious.

You entered the building you left him in, your eyes searching for his familiar figure. 'It looks like he isn't here-'

"(Y/n)..." A familiar voice appeared from behind, interrupting your thoughts.

"H-Hajime-kun!" You were surprised to see that he had come in from the outside. "Where did you go? I told you to stay in the building."

"I... I..." His usual stoic expression displayed signs of hurt and sadness. At first his eyes were concentrated on the floor, but they slowly made their way up to meet your own. "You left me for Heisuke!"

"W-What?!" You were taken aback by this sudden confrontation and unusual character. "I didn't leave you for Heisu-"

"You took him first." He was back to his stoic expression, staring deeply into your eyes. His cold look sent chills down your spine.

"But I came back for you!" You defended yourself as sweat dropped from your brow. You didn't know why but his expression was making you nervous. "What is up with you today?"

"What do you mean?" He noticeably frowned.

"Let's talk about it on the way to headquarters." You took his hand in your own and led him out of the building. You felt him tense up at your actions, but at this point it was the easiest way to make him follow you.

"Okay." He mumbled.

"So Hajime-kun. Tell me, what's up with you today?" You began thinking about his actions today, which were odd. "First, you decide to pick a fight with Heisuke. Then, you sneak out to Shimabara? That's against the rules, Hajime-kun. On top of that, I thought you were sober, but it smells like you drank as much as Heisuke did." You felt bad for scolding him, but you definitely wanted to know what's been causing him to act out. "So why are you acting this way?"

You walked beside him and looked up at his face out of concern, still holding his hand. His eyes met with your own and he blushed.

"A-Are you blushing?!" You yelled, your heart skipping a beat at this unusual expression. "A-Am I dreaming?" You had to pinch your cheek.

"Heisuke told me that he likes you." Saito blurted, and your eyes widened as they focused on the road ahead of you.

"O-oh, I already knew that."

"I told him that I like you."

"Okay." You turned to face him and his eyes met with your own. You quickly averted your gaze, trying to stay as calm as possible. "A-And?"

"And he challenged me to a battle to see who was more worthy of you." He hiccuped as his eyes burned holes into the side of your face.

"D-Did you just... 'hiccup'...?" Your head was spinning at how adorable Saito's drunken words and actions were.

"Yes." He hiccuped again.

"So who won?" You asked, genuinely curious.

"I did. Since Heisuke left first." He declared, and then scowled. "But I can't comprehend the fact that you took Heisuke first."

"T-Think about it this way: if I took you first, you would have lost." You squeezed his hand to comfort him.

"B-But what is your opinion of it?" He released your hand and halted his movements, turning you to face him, desperately looking into your eyes as if an answer would be found if he stared hard enough. "I like you, but how do you feel about me?"

"I'll tell you once we get back." You poked his forehead jokingly, walking around him while keeping your head tilted down.

He swiftly turned around and grabbed your shoulder, turning you to face him once more.

"Wait-"

A dark shade of red tinted your cheeks and your eyes were wide open. You pulled your hands over your face to cover it, but it was no use, he had seen your expression.

If you holding his hand hadn't sobered him up, this definitely did. He grabbed your wrists, pulling them from your face to reveal your tightly shut eyes and your soft cheeks burning with passion.

He lowered your hands, still holding them in his own, and pressed his forehead against your own.

"Does this mean our feelings are mutual?" He asked, staring into your eyes. You felt his warm breath brush across your features.

You slowly opened your eyes, staring into his beautiful blue orbs.

"Yes." And at your answer, Saito picked you up bridal style and carried you back to headquarters.

~*~*~

The next morning, Saito opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling, he felt someone else's legs intertwined with his own.

Swiftly sitting up, he looked down at your sleeping figure.

"W-What?" He was flabbergasted. "Where did you come from (Y/n)-san?" He was obviously a wreck.

"What are you talking about?" You yawned and rubbed your eyes, sitting up. "You were the one who brought me to your room and wouldn't let me go."

"I-I swear I would never do such a thing." He blushed, but despite his words, Saito still got down on his knees to apologize if he said or did anything weird to you.

"You... You really don't remember anything?" You were taken aback by his sudden amnesia.

"N-No." He nervously scratched the back of his head. "It seems that when I am intoxicated, time stops and I black out."

"I see..." You frowned, kind of hurt by his forgetfulness. "Then I guess I shouldn't have interrupted you and that prostitute, huh?" You lied, slightly annoyed with the current situation.

"W-What?!"

~~~~~

This one was pretty long, but I hope this was what you were looking for~