Harada Sanosuke •|Just This Once|•

You wandered the streets of Kyoto aimlessly. It was night time and you left your sleeping siblings with your grandparents. Your parents were killed by rogue samurai a couple of years ago, and it was your job to take care of the younger ones.

You sighed deeply and weaved through the alleyways only to arrive at the festival with brilliant lights, delicious food, and beautiful accessories.

You stared at the beauty of it all. 'So this is the Gion Festival. Maybe I'll bring my siblings tomorrow.'

Slipping through the alleyway behind you, two men in light blue Shinsengumi coats watched the procession.

"This is your last chance to see the Yamahoko parade." You heard the auburn-haired man say. You stared in his direction and noticed a girl standing between the two men, but she was dressed like a boy.

The auburn-haired man noticed you staring and glanced in your direction, sending a smile your way. Your eyes met with his dark amber ones and you blushed under his friendly gaze. As you averted your eyes, you walked away.

Slowly, you came upon a familiar food stand.

"Hello!~" You called out, walking behind the counter.

"Oh my! (Y/n), I wasn't expecting you." Your boss, a woman about the same age as your grandmother, greeted you. "Don't you have a boyfriend to walk around with and have fun with these days?" She asked, putting a hand to her mouth. "You're so young, enjoy the freedom you have before marriage."

"I have to support my siblings." You smiled at her concern. "I ended up taking one of the other worker's shift, so don't mind me."

"Is that so?" She seemed disappointed. "Well then, I don't mind paying you double for your troubles tonight. It seems like you and I will be the only ones working, the others who were scheduled probably aren't coming."

"Y-yes!" You were ecstatic about the double pay, especially since you planned to take your siblings out the next day. "I'll work hard!"

You immediately went straight to work. The most popular item of the night was dango (🍡) and you were in charge of it.

"Another order of dango!" Your boss yelled from the front counter.

"Yes!" You immediately placed the tri-colored balls onto a stick, covering it in mitarashi and wrapping it in paper, handing it to the customer waiting at the pick up window. "Thank you very much!" You smiled, looking up at the customer.

It was the Auburn-haired man.

"Ahhh, you're that pretty lady from earlier!" He recognized you immediately. "Say, when does your shift end?"

"I'm going to be working all night." You stated indifferently, walking back to assemble more dango.

"Is that so? Well, I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow." He scratched the back of his head nervously.

"Oh, there's no need for that." You boss had overheard the conversation and stepped in to help you out. "Her shift has just ended! It looks like someone else showed up after all!" She pointed at one of your coworkers who was trying to sneak past the stand unseen.

"I see!" The man brightened up. "I'll wait for you over there, then." He pointed to a bench across the road from the stand.

You nodded. "O-okay."

"He seems like a nice boy." Your boss patted your back and smiled. "Go have a little fun! I'll still pay you what you were expecting, so don't worry about the money."

"Y-yes!" You nodded enthusiastically. Immediately, the apron was passed onto the other coworker and you walked to the man from earlier.

"You made it!" He beamed. "I was worried you might reject me."

"I'm not that cruel." You took a seat next to him on the bench.

"Do you want a bite of the dango you made me?" He held the snack out to you, encouraging you to eat it.

"No, I'm aware of what it tastes like. But thank you." You stared at your feet, you had never been alone with a man this good looking before.

"What's wrong?" He asked, looking around at the other food stands. "I noticed this sad look in your eyes ever since I first saw you. A pretty girl like you should smile more."

"You know, I've seen you before." He gazed in your direction. "You work so hard to support those little kids you're living with."

"Y-you know..?" You turned to face him. He smiled at the flustered look that fell over your features.

"Of course!" His dark amber eyes met with yours. "Who could forget a face as beautiful as yours."

You blushed a deep crimson at his sweet words and covered your cheeks with your hands. "I-I have never heard someone speak so kindly of me before." But at that moment, you glanced up at him, the blush fading. "I don't even know your name!"

"Harada Sanosuke." You focused on his lips as his husky breath was released.

"(Y/n)." You replied.

"Well then, (y/n)." He stood up grabbing your hands in his own. "Shall we stroll?"

"Y-yes, but I shouldn't be out too late. My siblings are at home and they-" He pressed a finger to your lips, halting your rambling.

Slowly he leaned down and whispered in your ear. "You've worked so hard to take care of your siblings. Tonight, will you let me spoil you and shower you with compliments?"

"B-But I barely know you and I wouldn't want to bother you." You tilted your head down. It's not like Sanosuke's offer wasn't tempting, you just didn't know him. At all.

"Then I'll help you get to know me." He gently grabbed your chin and lifted your head up, and you blushed at his boldness. "I promise you that this won't be the last time you see me. So what do you say?"

"I suppose. J-Just this once." You gave in. You realized that this man was so gentle, he couldn't have ulterior motives. "Where do we head first?" You asked, looking around. Your eyes stopped on-

"The candy stands." His large, warm hand intertwined with your own. It was like he read your mind.

You glanced up at him. Sure you were still unsure about the whole idea of spending time with a total stranger, but it was nice to have someone to tend to your needs. It was nice to have someone care about you.