Hijikata Toshizo •|No Time for Love|• Pt.1

"Chizuru?" You walked by the vice commander's room just as Chizuru was exiting.

"Yes?" She replied obediently following you around the corner.

"Is he sleeping yet?" At your concern, she smiled.

"He is not, but if you would like to see him-"

"No, I do not wish to hinder his work." You cut her off. "I am a ninja after all. I have to work as best as I can to aid the Shinsengumi in anyway."

"I see." Chizuru looked down sadly.

"Don't look so sullen." You patted her head gently. "I only came to drop off my report from Shimabara, that's all. Come visit me sometime, huh? I get lonely there." You joked, but Chizuru knew you were telling her your true feelings.

With a nod, she walked to her room and you headed toward Hijikata's. Once you arrived at his door, you knocked twice and announced your sudden appearance. As you opened the sliding door, you noticed that Hijikata had been hunched over his working space.

"You shouldn't be sleeping here." You placed the paper report by his head and then took a blanket from his closet and covered him with it.

Before you could leave his side, he grabbed your wrist and stopped you.

"Did you need something before I leave, Vice Commander?" You whispered quietly, so that the captains in neighboring rooms would not be disturbed.

"No." Hijikata replied. "Just stay by my side a moment."

You blushed at his bold request, eyes widened out of surprise. "I suppose I have no right to refuse." You regained your composure and sat beside him, removing his hair from its bounds and brushing through it with your fingers.

After he was sound asleep, you blew out the candle, left the room, and returned to Shimabara, where you were staking out as a Geisha.

~*~

A few weeks had passed since you last visited the Shinsengumi headquarters and you were currently in the process of transferring from one drunken client to the next. At the moment, you were resting in a room with the other geisha.

"Are you not feeling well (y/n)?" Kimigiku, your fellow Geisha, asked out of concern. "Your face seems pale."

You laughed lightly at her words. "If that's meant to be a joke, it was well planned." You said this because you were a Geisha, and your face was painted white with only red lips and black eye makeup to contrast it.

"I mean well." She smiled at you warmly, breaking down your facade.

"I haven't been feeling my best lately." You admitted, but had a stern look on your face. "But you have a keen eye, Kimigiku. You could be a spy or something." 

She was slightly shocked by your confrontation.

"Just kidding~" You joked, smiling. "You're beauty is better suited for other things."

"(Y/n)." One of the attendants had called out. "Customers are requesting you."

"Okay." You called out, leaving the room silently.

As soon as you made it to the door of the guests' room, you heard the familiar yelling of the Shinsengumi.

Sliding the door open, you introduced yourself properly. "Hello," you bowed fully. "My name is (y/n), thank you very much for requesting my services tonight."

"Ehh? That's (y/n)?!" Shinpachi was in shock.

"Hey (y/n), come look at Chizuru!" Heisuke motioned for you to move in his direction.

"H-Hello." Chizuru greeted you.

Your eyes moved up to meet with hers. She was also dressed in a geisha's kimono with her hair and makeup done. You took notice of her embarrassed expression and made your way over to her. You smiled at her and whispered, "Thank you for visiting me." At your words, she eased up.

"Let me show you how to dance." You glanced at her, pulling out two fans from your obi.

You gave one to Chizuru and gracefully stepped to the beat that one of the apprentice geisha carefully played. 

"(Y/n) has been working here so long, she's practically a natural..." Okita smiled at your efforts to show Chizuru how Geisha dance.

Hijikata silently watched the whole scene unfold with jealousy. He was the one who sent you undercover in Shimabara, but he hadn't had the chance to see you all dressed up like this. The fact that he had to share that experience with the other Shinsengumi members irritated him.

"Hijikata-san," Chizuru's voice interrupted his deep thoughts as she sat beside him. "You look bothered by something."

"No. I'm fine." He lied, averting his gaze from Chizuru to you, watching as you poured Sano a drink.

"Thanks a lot, (y/n)." He leaned over and whispered into your ear. But of course, Hijikata couldn't hear your conversation so he became more agitated when you blushed at his words of gratitude.

"(Y/n)-chan~ Come over here~" A drunk Shinpachi called out to you, his arms wide open.

"No, that's okay." You refused, averting your eyes to Hijikata who stared at you coldly. You were shocked by his change in character from the last time you had seen him. This caused you to look at the floor with a hurt expression, sometimes you do not understand this man.

~~~~~

Part two is on its way!