Hijikata Toshizo •|Call me Toshizo|•

"Hey Heisuke, how's Hijikata-San?" You asked the brunette as you twiddled your thumbs.

"Hijikata-San? Why?" Heisuke raised a brow out of curiosity.

"Just wondering." You mumbled, averting your gaze to the floor. "He must be busy with paperwork and stuff, per usual."

"It seems that way." Heisuke looked up at the blue sky. A smirk followed his face after an idea popped into his head. "Chizuru has been in and out of his room. So maybe he is busy."

"C-Chizuru?" You blushed at the thought of those two together. It made your heart ache.

"Yeah, it seems he hasn't been eating well. Chizuru is probably staying by his bedside all night long to look after him." Heisuke stated, studying your expression carefully.

Your eyebrows furrowed at his words.

"You jealous?" Heisuke asked.

You jumped and immediately answered his question. "N-No, why would I be jealous?"

"You're lying." Heisuke stared into your eyes. He was your best friend, of course he knew when you were lying.

"Maybe just a little." You whined, giving up the 'I'm okay' act.

"I thought so." Heisuke grinned, ruffling your hair. "Why don't you stop by and visit? Hijikata-San seems to enjoy your company anyway."

Your features lit up at these words. "You really think so?!"

"Yeah." Heisuke chuckled. "How about you come right now?"

~*~*~

"Pardon the intrusion~" You called out, slipping off your sandals.

"Ahhhh~ it's (y/n)!" Kondou greeted you at the entrance. "It's so nice to see such a beautiful face at this time of day. Toshi would be so happy to see-"

"Oh! Dinner's ready, Kondou-San." Okita chimed in, cutting his mentor off.

"I see. Come join us for a meal then, (y/n)!" Kondou's eyes lit up.

His friendliness extended to you because of your relationship with the demon commander. It's not like Kondou would invite some random stranger in.

"Pardon the intrusion." You smiled, walking behind the men.

Okita slid a large door open and sitting before you were all of the Shinsengumi's captains, their eyes focused on you.

"Everyone, (y/n) will be joining us for dinner tonight!" Kondou grinned like a proud father showing everyone his daughter.

"Hijikata-San is eating in his room tonight." Harada informed.

"No. I'll be eating with everyone tonight." A familiar voice came from behind you. You turned around to see the commander with bags under his eyes and a tray of food in his hands.

"Hijikata!" Your eyes widened out of surprise. "Let me help you carry that." You took the tray from his hands and followed him to his seat, setting the tray in front of him.

"Come sit over here (y/n)!" Heisuke waved you over. You smiled and headed toward him in the opposite direction of your beloved commander.

Before you could walk any further, someone tightly grabbed your wrist. Your head turned to see Hijikata on one knee and an arm outstretched so he could get a better hold of your wrist. Hijikata was noticeably pale.

"Please... accompany me... for dinner to...tonight." Hijikata was having trouble speaking.

You walked toward him and placed a hand over his forehead, noting his burning temperature. "Hijikata, you should be resting in bed." You whispered in his ear, not paying attention to the spectators in the room.

"Will you accom...pany me?" He persistently asked again,

"Yes. Now, let's head back to your room." You saw him stagger. He was about to fall when Saito caught him.

"I will carry him to his room while you carry the tray. Follow me." Saito quickly left the room as he was supporting Hijikata.

"Please excuse us." You bowed and followed the two out. The spectators just looked on curiously.

You worriedly walked behind the two, basically staring daggers into the back of Hijikata's head.

"He's been like this for a good amount of days now." Saito glanced back at you. "That's why he hasn't come to see you."

"I-I see." You were taken aback by the response to a question you hadn't even asked yet.

"Please stay a couple of nights and take care of Hijikata-San." Saito boldly requested as he opened the doors to Hijikata's room.

"I planned to do so from the beginning." You reassured him.

"I see." Saito seemed to be in deep thought as he laid Hijikata down in his futon. You noticed a pail of water was already by his bedside with a cloth soaking inside of it. "Then, excuse me." Saito shut the door behind him.

You stared at the long haired male laying down in front of you. He looked like he collapsed from overworking and sleep deprivation.

You reached into the bucket with cold water and wrung out the cloth, placing it on his forehead.

At the coldness, his eyes had sprung open. This startled you.

"Chizuru?" Hijikata muttered.

"No. It's (y/n)." You were slightly bothered by the fact that he expected Chizuru to be here.

"Ah." Was all he said.

You silently fumed with jealousy.

"I'm glad it's you." Hijikata slipped a hand out of his futon and held your hand in his calloused one. "From now on please take care of me." He shut his eyes. "I prefer you over the kid."

That was enough to dispel your jealousy and you happily replied, "y-yes Hijikata-San!"

"Toshizo." He corrected you weakly. "Call me Toshi...zo" And with that he fell asleep.

"Sleep well." You tucked his hand back under the futon, watching him sleep peacefully.

~~~~~

Sorry it took so long! Writer's block is real. Also, feel free to request with a scenario!