The Black Hole

Vanessa's P.O.V.

"Oh, we should go swimming in the San Gabriel River!" I suggested excitedly, leading Chandler to the little house.

"Who's your friend?" Thumper, my uncle, grunted from the chair in the corner.

"Geez, Uncle Thumper! You almost gave me a heart attack! This is my boyfriend, Chandler," I replied. "We're wanting to go for a dip in the river."

"Ok, just remember to not hit the edge when you rope swing," he muttered. He was pretty weird, but he was family.

I lead Chandler up the stairs. "I'll go change in Savannah's room, and you go to the bathroom." I pushed him out of the room. "Hey guys! Come swimming with us!" I called to my cousins.

"Sure," they said. After they changed,  we headed down to the gate that opened to the woods, where Ollie, the cow, and the jackasses grazed.

"Watch out for the poison ivy," warned Savannah.

"The gate code is 0000, but the lock is broken,so we have to hop the fence. Make sure you don't hit the barbwire," I told Chandler, showing him the scar on my ankle where it had got stuck in the barb wire.

"Dang, ladies first," he smiled.

Chandler's POV

It is always so hard not to stare at her butt in anything, I mean like dang. Then I felt someone tap my shoulder. It was Canyon, Vanessa's cousin. "Dude, don't make it too obvious," he joked.

"Chandler, watch this!" Vanessa swung off of the rope and into the lake.

"I'm comin' for you!" I called, grabbing the rope and doing the same. I landed right next to her and pulled her underwater, kissing her.

Vanessa's POV

Chandler pulled me underwater and kissed me. I wanted to keep kissing him but I needed my oxygen and besides, my cousins were probably laughing at us. When we rose up to the surface, my thoughts were confirmed.

"Oh, shut up! Y'all are just jelly!" I called to them, laughing in embarrassment.

"Let's go to the Black Hole," Lauren suggested.

"What the heck is the Black Hole?" Chandler asked.

"The Black Hole is  this point in the river where you can go underwater and it goes like, 1 mile deep," I explained.

"Cool," he shrugged.

Who wants to go first?" Michael shouted. I didn't say anthing, I just pulled Chandler down in the hole with me as deep as we could go. But I quickly pulled up, changing my mind, because 1 mile is waaaaaaay too deep.

"We should get going. we have a surprise for you!" Eli said.

"Yay! A surprise!" I clapped my hands in childish excitement. We got out of the river and headed back to the house.  When we finally arrived back at the house, I was so excited, I ran in through the door. There sat my great aunt, Mila Gibson, a retired opera singer,(for real look her up), my great aunt Jane, my Nana, and Grandpa, all sitting at the table with Thumper, waiting for us.  I saw two presents wrapped in paper.

"Please, everyone, come join us at the table," requested Mila. After lunch, they said I could open my presents. First, I went for the small one. When I opened it, I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a gold chain with a gold nugget and three little diamonds lay in it.

"It's the chain your dad used to wear. He told me to give it to you when you were responsible enough to take care of it," Thumper told me.

"I love it," I breathed, putting it on. I felt my eyes water. I opened the larger present. "OMG, A NEW SKATEBOARD!" I exclaimed, pulling it out of the box.

"Yes, and I was thinking, if you and your friend skated to the mall down the road, it would be fine by me," Jane said.

"Chandler, do you skateboard?" I asked.

"Are you kidding me? I am the best!" he puffed his chest, proudly. We laughed.

"Well, I'm gonna go change then," I said, running up the stairs. When I got to Savannah's room, I looked at myself in the mirror. I think I'm going to take out my dye right now. When I was done taking it out, I changed and looked in the mirror again. I really do love my natural hair, but I don't know what Chandler will think of it.

When I walked down the stairs, I'm was so nervous. What if he doesn't like it? But my worried thoughts diminish because when I get to the bottom of the stairs, his jaw drops open. Oh, thank goodness he likes it!