3: all green

As far as Park Woojin could remember, him and Park Jihoon had always been best friends.

Their mothers had been best friends years before the two boys were born, and they were so close that they even moved to live next to the other.

So Woojin and Jihoon had always grown up together. Quite literally.

When Woojin's mother was giving birth, Jihoon's mother and a six months old Jihoon were there, waiting for him too.

And for the next few years, the two kids would always sleep together while their mothers met up to have a coffee.

When they grew older, they quickly became best friends too, and their mothers couldn't be happier.

Woojin had always felt a very strong connection towards Jihoon. He could be having the worst day in his life, but have it fixed by Jihoon's smile and soothing words. Everything the other boy did was very endearing in Woojin's eyes, and at some point, when he was 12, he realised, that he might be in love with his best friend.

In a society where having a soulmate is the most important thing, Woojin didn't think it was weird the fact he liked his best friend. He quickly realised they were soulmates, so liking him wasn't a problem.

But things didn't go as Woojin planned.

At Jihoon's 14th birthday, both him and Woojin were together in Jihoon's bedroom, staring at his left wrist, waiting for his mark to appear.

A few days before, Jihoon had told Woojin he wanted him to be the first one to witness his mark appearing, because he loved him and trusted him the most.

The moment the clock hit 00:00 am, Woojin softly said "Happy birthday, Jihoon-ie~" and the other boy smiled softly, muttering a "Thank you, Woojin-ie~".

And at that right second, a black mark began appearing on Jihoon's left wrist, leaving both boys breathless.

1.

It read 1.

Woojin felt his entire world crashing down.

It should've been a 0. Then a 2. Then a 1. And then another 1.

Why was it a 1?

Was the month coming first for Jihoon?

Jihoon, on the other hand, was really excited.

"Oh my god, Woojin!" he said. "It's finally appeared! I can't believe it!"

Woojin tried to smile as genuinely as he could.

A few months later, on Woojin's birthday, the two boys did the same thing, but in Woojin's room.

The clock hit 00:00 am, Jihoon softly congratulated Woojin, who smiled in return, and then both boys saw his number appear.

0.

It read 0.

For the second time in a year, Woojin felt his entire world crash again.

A year later, on the same day, the two boys were together again. A few months before, they had seen Jihoon's mark turn into a 10. And now, Woojin's became a 09.

A tear fell down Woojin's face.

"Woojin-ie? What's wrong?" Jihoon quickly asked.

"You're not my soulmate."

"What?"

"You're not my soulmate. I always thought... I always thought we were destined to be together. I thought... that it was the only logical thing, you...and me. But I was wrong."

Jihoon didn't know what to say. He didn't know Woojin liked him too, and definitely didn't know the boy was also worried about his mark not being the other's birthday.

"Woojin." Jihoon softly said. "Even if we are not destined to be together, I will always consider you my soulmate. My very first soulmate. Even after I find my soulmate, and after you find yours, I will still consider you one of my soulmates, and my best friend. My only best friend."

Woojin smiled. Maybe his best friend didn't like him back, but at least he loved him a lot. And that was enough for him.

"Thank you, Jihoon." he replied.

And like that, the two boys hugged.

A few years after, Jihoon found his soulmate. It was a certain boy called Bae Jinyoung, who had godly visuals and Jihoon's birthday written on his wrist.

The two boys had said the words, and witnessed both their marks become green, while Woojin watched them from afar.

The following months, Jihoon only had eyes for Jinyoung, which left Woojin wondering: "Didn't you promise me, you would always be with me? Now you barely talk to me. Were your words just a lie?"

One day, after Jihoon and Jinyoung had a fight, he and Woojin met up in a bar, and finally talked again.

"Maybe I should break the bond." was the very first thing Jihoon said, after taking his first drink.

Woojin, sitting next to him, raised his eyebrow.

"Break the bond? Don't you think... it's too much?"

"You don't understand. As much as I love him, and always will, we are just constantly fighting, and I can't deal with it anymore. Besides." Jihoon said, taking a second drink. "I keep comparing him to you."

Woojin was left breathless.

"T-to me? Why?"

"I always thought that soulmates would be like you and me. The way we two understand each other, better than anybody else... How we have never, never ever fought... God dammit we can even communicate without the need of words..."

Woojin didn't know what to say. He felt very touched, that after all these years Jihoon still thought of him so highly.

Suddenly, Jihoon began crying, and Woojin reacted by quickly hugging the other boy.

"What's wrong?"

"I love you." Jihoon said. "Not in the way best friends love each other. And I always have."

"J-Jihoon. I love you too. But...not in that way. Not anymore. I'm sorry." Woojin lied.

Suddenly, Jihoon's face grew red, as he pulled away from Woojin.

"Don't lie to me!" he spilled. "Do you think I'm blind or something? That I don't see how you stare at Jinyoung when he's with me? With your eyes full of frustration and jealousy? Do you really think I'm that dumb?"

"Jihoon. Even if I liked you. We can't be together. You have to understand. We have soulmates. You and Jinyoung... you have a connection that you and me won't ever have. When you two are together, I stare jealously because I keep on realising that he's slowly transforming into the best soulmate you could ever ask for! I realise that one day, you'll stop thinking of me as your soulmate. And god, how it hurts." Woojin said. "Maybe it's because of the alcohol, but you shouldn't be saying those things. You and Jinyoung are meant to be. I know it."

Jihoon tried to smile.

"What about you?" Jihoon said.

"What about me?" Woojin stood up and left.