Chapter Two

** Damien - Jesse Williams**

Fine. I was fine. Fine is such a strange word.

I was driving home in my mother's silver corolla which I was yet to return. The radio volume had been muted because like every time I was upset, only romantic ballads played on radio. Like what I needed right now was a song that reminded me about Damien's betrayal.

I was halfway home, car radio on mute and alone with the thoughts I forced my mind to focus on. Simply kept repeating to myself, "I'm fine."

Self-denial was an amazing thing. I quite enjoyed lying to myself. Maybe if I said it enough, it would become a reality. Insert inspirational quote here. None came to mind at the moment.

As I neared the apartment, I began to inwardly groan. It was always hard dropping by our apartment. We had washed our dirty linen in public. Our neighbors were fully aware of our family business. There was one particular neighbor I was hoping to avoid.

The one friend of Sumaya I could not stand moved into the building just a week ago. She not only moved into the same building but she was also next door. Almara was the long time friend and former St. Michael's bunk mate of Sumaya. She was also the one friend of my sister who made it unbearably clear that I was the spawn of a home wrecker back when Sumaya hated my guts. My dislike for Almara grew when I developed a huge crush on a guy friend of Sumaya's only to discover he was Almara's boyfriend. Almara was not only strikingly beautiful but she had managed to grow even more attractive over the years and became a supermodel to boot. She had it all yet would still not forget that I took her coveted spot as Sumaya's maid of honor. I was an Economics major who just graduated from college and was yet to find a job. In the game of life she had won, why would she still care about not being chosen as Sumaya's maid of honor?

The mean-spirited black German model would definitely drop by to know how her long time best friend was doing and as much as she cared for Sumaya, I hated to be the one to open the door to her.

I was so consumed by my thoughts that I walked smack into someone. I tried to take a step back and almost stumbled as strong hands gripped my upper arms to steady me. I looked up at the person witnessing my sudden clumsiness and speak of the devil, there he was.

"Christopher Chase" I said almost in a whisper.

"Kerry Effah. Well well well" he smiled. One look at the dimple on his left cheek and I almost blushed at the the memory of gawking at him from a distance during my teen years hoping he would send his one dimpled simple my way.

When he looked at me, I saw that look in his eyes I thought I would never see. Christopher Chase totally checked me out. Not the licentious kind of look. The 'you've grown up so beautifully, you are so not the awkward teenager that I remember' look. I was mentally doing somersaults. Thank you Alexa for dragging me to the gym during all four years of college!

"I was wondering when you would show up. Almara moved in next door. Yay me" my tone was dripping with sarcasm.

"We've not seen each other in years. Let's skip the 'you hate my girlfriend' part and tell me how Sumaya is doing. Almara told me what happened" he dug his hands into the grey denim jeans he paired with a plain white tee shirt. Even casually dressed, he still looked yummy.

"Sumaya is dealing with this at her own pace. She is being strong. She has her family supporting her during this trying time" I said almost mechanically.

"Did you practice that in the mirror all weekend to say to anyone who asks?" He smirked, "Tell me, how is she really?"

"My sister's marriage lasted two years. The guy everyone told her was not worth her proved her trust in him wrong. How do you think she is faring?" I leaned against silver and white striped wall of the hallway.