Chapter thirteen

"Dom, wake up" I spoke mildly as I gently shook his shoulder. After banging the door shut on his hand, I was being careful with the way I handled him.

He mumbled something and then finally opened his eyes. He noticed we were parked in his driveway then his eyes trailed down to space on the car seat where his hand lay with a now dripping wet pack. His eyes widened at the thought of wet seat covers but then he so calmly brought his gaze to his guilty driver, me.

"We can leave the windows down, just air it out. The sun is out this afternoon. Not a cloud in the sky" I offered, still gripping the wheel. He just shook his head at me and I proceeded to roll just the front windows down.

He went to the trunk and I followed closely behind.

"Let me help you with your bags. It's the least I can do" I said slowly and reached for the handle of one of his bags. His right hand, the lucky hand, stopped my hand.

"My right hand is okay. I'll lift them out, you can carry my shoulder bag" he instructed me.

So he dragged his trolley bag and I carried the shoulder bag as we made our way to the front door. Chris was home and let us in even before Dom could pull out his key. One look at the wet patch on side of Dom's trousers and the looks on our faces, Chris simply welcomed us and was about to turn and leave.

"Chris I'd need you to take a look at my hand" Dom called Chris' attention to his left hand.

"Why what happened to your hand?" Chris touched Dom's hand and Dom winced in pain.

"My punishment for going to Japan" Dom muttered as Chris observed his hand. I stood still by the doorway to the living room where we had dropped the bags.

Chris chuckled and cast a glance my way, "You two like to play it rough huh?"

Dom smacked Chris' head and Chris pressed on his hand.

"Chris!" I yelled as Dom's eyes squeezed in pain.

"No broken bones. Good thing you put some ice on it. Some painkillers and you should be okay" Chris told us then turned to face me, "Fashion designers like doctors need their hands to work for a living. Next time just mess up the face"

I smiled at Chris' attempt to lighten the mood. He grabbed his car keys and took off. I still stood by the door as Dom sat in the couch looking at me intently. He looked like he was trying to find words to say to me.

"Okay since your hand is okay, I guess I should take off. I'm sorry about your hand" I spoke softly.

He grinned. He shook his head slowly as he smiled then refocused his gaze on me.

'Unbelievable" he said.

"What?" I said defensively. I had apologized twice and driven him home. What else?

"You don't get to ignore my calls, not reply my messages nor return my calls, pretend like my absence did not affect you and then crush my hand with my own car door, drive me home, apologize and then leave like we should be okay with all this"

He took quick long strides towards me till I found myself backed up against the door frame. His right arm had blocked my only side exit.

"You went to Japan. You went to her fashion show. You met with her. That dress she was wearing..." I retorted, "you play companion with me and then you go kiss and touch her all you want. Probably got a private viewing of her new line before the main show"

"I'm a fool" he said and caught me off guard. I did not expect that. He took a step back.

"It was a business thing. There is going to be a collaboration ad campaign with Chase Men and The Yang line. We planned this long before we broke up. I saw her at the show, we took photos for publicity and we spoke briefly. I told her about you. I'm happy. She's happy"