Chapter Six

The scream I heard jolted me awake from my sleep and sent me flying out of my bed. My feet carried me as fast as it could towards the direction of the scream, my head foggy yet adrenalin pumping through my veins. Why was Sumaya screaming?

"Dom?!" I heard Sumaya say, the confusion in her voice pretty clear. I paused mid-run and then my head suddenly cleared. Dominic Chase was sleeping in our guest room. The events of the night before came flooding into my mind. I walked up quietly to the open guest room door and stood behind Sumaya who was in her light green scrubs with her purse that lay in a messy puddle at her feet.

"Good morning guys" I said, grabbing Sumaya's shoulder and making her turn around, almost stepping on the half-poured contents of her purse.

Dom had slept in his clothes from the day before and he looked a rumpled mess. He probably flew out of bed like I did because the minute I showed up, he sat back down.

"Hello, Kerry. Organizing sleepovers with your boss now?" Sumaya whispered and I cringed when Dom mumbled, "I can hear you, Sumaya"

"How about breakfast? I'm sure we are all hungry so let me whip up something for us to eat" I suggested and they both gave me weird looks.

I pulled Sumaya out of the room with me, leaving her purse right where it was on the ground. Dom needed a few minutes to himself after such a rude awakening.

We got to the kitchen and I pulled open the fridge and cabinets gathering ingredients and utensils on the kitchen island.

"So?"

"He needed a place to crash. He called me. I helped" I explained simply. I mixed up eggs and vegetables and poured the contents into a cupcake baking tray before sliding it into the oven.

"Why did he call you? Isn't his girlfriend in town?"

"Sumaya, if I had the answers to those questions I'd tell you. I'm just as clueless. I do kind of owe him one since Alexa and I slept over at his place that horrid weekend"

"I know about that. Christopher told me. So you and Dom are kind of close?" She peered at me and I could hear the question she was trying so hard not to ask.

"I am not breaking up his engagement. He and I just talk sometimes"

She heaved a sigh of relief and then decided to help me with breakfast by making yoghurt, pineapple and pawpaw smoothies for us all. She usually had the fruits chopped up and ready for the morning smoothie.

Dom was taking a long time to show up. The omelet muffins, toast, sausages and smoothies were ready. I walked up to the room and knocked on the door.

"Come in" I heard him say.

I walked in to find him still lying in bed, toying with something between his fingers and looking at it, deep in thought. I got closer and noticed it was an engagement ring he was holding.

"Dom, breakfast is ready" I was not sure if he wanted to talk about the elephant in the room.

" I'm not hungry. I'd just wash my face and head to the office, I have a change of clothes there" he said then sat at the edge of the bed.

"You are eating breakfast before you leave. You're not allergic to pineapple or lactose intolerant, or are you? Anyway there is coffee too" I insisted.

He looked up at me and his usually piercing black eyes were dulled by sadness.

I could not keep away anymore. I was pretty familiar with this kind of sadness. I sat next to him and not looking at him asked, "So...last night...the cemetery isn't really a common hangout place"