Chapter Eighteen

With every love story, there is the calm before the storm. And the little events that fall in place like dominoes brewing the storm. I was unaware of the storm coming as I got dressed for Ada's wedding. Since the wedding was taking place at our old church, Dom and I had come in on Friday night from work, suit and dress hanging in the car and overnight bags in the trunk.

After New Year's Eve, we became closer and more intimate each other. Sumaya had seen the glow and gave me a sex education lecture the minute I settled back in the apartment.

I assured her then my mum then aunt Jamila that we were being safe. My dad however avoided the topic like a plague. I was grateful for that. My hands were already full keeping the women in my life calm about my sex life. Last thing I needed was having any awkward conversations with my dad.

"Kerry, aren't you ready yet?" Dom called out from behind my door. My mum had put us in separate rooms after making the rather humiliating declaration that there would be no baby making under her roof.

"Almost!" I said as I grabbed my makeup bag and got my face done in ten minutes. Ada was having a simple small wedding in the church and a reception at Evolve. She only had her younger sister as her maid of honor but she insisted I get a bridesmaid dress even though she had no bridesmaids. I was sitting with Dom in the second row behind her parents. My mum was also going to be on that second row with us. That meant we all had to get to the church early.

I emerged and found Dom and Nii waiting, fully dressed to the nines, in the living room. Dom was in a dark grey suit with a white shirt underneath and a light green tie.

"Mum, time to go!" I called out.

"You look so elegant in mint green" Dom complimented me.

"You look dapper" I traced a finger on the lapel of his suit.

"Of course I look dapper. I'm Dominic Chase of Chase Men"

"A little modesty goes a long way" I said and heard Nii cough to cover up his laugh.

"I call this free advertising" Dom said.

"I'm out! Okay, let's go" my mum appeared in a mint green lace dress that hugged her figure before cascading to the ground. A fascinator sat regally on her head, tipped slightly to the side.

"Dom, I see you checking me out" my mum said and Dom blushed.

"No ma'am. I was just thinking this would be Kerry in a couple of years. My future suddenly looked much brighter"

He hugged me at the waist and smiled down at me.

We got to the church early and sat in our respective pews twenty minutes before the wedding officially began. As Ada's father walked her down the aisle to the altar where Jon stood beaming, I could not help but burst with joy for my friend. They made it.

The whole ceremony was emotional. I could not get over how Dom held my hand while the bride and groom said their vows to each other. It was almost as if he was silently telling me we would make it too.

It was not until the reception that I noticed that the younger ladies especially Ada's work colleagues recognized Dom. It got weird when I realized that some of them even took photos of us together. I figured they would crop me out later and stare at Dom in the photo with dreamy eyes.

Dom was being such a good sport. My mum gave him her camera to take photos and he busied himself taking photos as instructed. I could see what my mum was doing. She was shamelessly showing off her daughter's boyfriend. Every time Dom got up to take a photo, female heads, both young and old, would turn in his direction. I was making sure the catering service Evolve was giving was up to par for Ada's engagement. I finally got a break to spend more time with Dom when it was time to cut the cake. As the wedding tradition went, Ada chose my mum to help her and her groom cut the cake and bless their union in the process. Dom went to take a couple of photos and came to sit by me.