Chapter Fifteen

The doorbell rang and I went to get the door. I was already dressed in a simple black lace dress with capped sleeves. It was thirty minutes to dinner and I opened the door to find my mum balancing a cake box in one hand and holding a paper bag in the other.

I took the cake box from and took a peek. This was definitely Chef Pati's ice cream cake.

"I did not know whether he liked white or red wine so I brought both" my mum pulled out two wine bottles from the paper bag she was holding.

"We're eating outside. Just set it on the table there" aunt Jamila told her.

We had cooked earlier so I had a few minutes to freshen up before Dom arrived for dinner. I put the cake in the fridge and followed my mum outside to see my dad dragging an ice chest outside. He and Sumaya filled it with ice and drinks including the white wine my mum just brought.

The doorbell rang again and I gave my dad a knowing smile, Dominic was punctual. Five minutes early. He waved me off and I went to get the door to find Dom holding a shopping bag. He was in a light green button down shirt and dark khaki pants.

"Good evening, beautiful" he hugged me and kissed me rather chastely on the cheek.

"Don't worry, he's outside" I laughed then he kissed me briefly on the lips. I walked him inside and took him to where everyone sat at the wooden picnic table decked with a blue checkered tablecloth.

"Good evening" Dominic greeted when he approached the table.

"Good evening" they chorused back and stared back at me waiting for me to say something. I realized they still expected me to introduce him so I cleared my throat and said shyly.

"Everyone, you already know him but of course let me properly introduce my boyfriend, Dominic. Dominic, the Kerington-Effah family"

"Nice to meet you all... again" Dominic flashed them a charming smile. "I brought gifts. My dad taught me not to show up empty-handed. I admit my aunt helped with picking them out"

I took the bag from him and set it next to aunt Jamila who smiled when she saw the contents of the bag.

"Dominic, you're welcome. Have a seat" my dad said and patted the seat next to him. Uh-oh. I usually sat by my dad and I thought I would be sitting by him while Dominic was safely between me and aunt Jamila,

I watched nervously as Dominic confidently held out the next chair for me to sit in then sat next to my dad.

"Let us say grace" mum called our attention and prayed for our meal.

We started to eat and the mothers were the ones chatting with Dominic. My father was unusually quiet.

"Dad, you're awfully quiet down there" I spoke up and everyone turned to face him. He smirked and then took a sip of his water before speaking.

"Dominic, I was surprised when I found out you were dating my daughter"

"Really sir?"

"Well you do have a type. Your taste in women is pretty singular. Older women who are usually models. So I guess what I'm trying to ask is why my beautiful young daughter?"

"I understand your concerns. Sometimes, all it takes is for one woman to make you see why it went so wrong with all the others" he said and held my hand on the table. The women at the table swooned, my dad looked our hands together then back at Dom.

"So you want me to trust you enough and advise my daughter into signing the 'Work Couple' contract that says your office romance is allowed as long as it is actually kept out of the office?" My dad went right for his jugular.