Chapter Four

** Dominic- Ricky Whittle**

I was trying not to snort in amusement when my dad tried to trick me into thinking driving me to work was my idea. All the tell-tale signs were there so even without getting a heads up from Alexa, I would have figured something was up.

He had skipped reading the morning paper at breakfast. First warning sign.

He chose not to do his mandatory thirty minute workout with the rowing machine like he did every weekday. Aunt Jamila did not insist on him doing so either. Amber alert!

We got into his prized Mercedes Benz that he loved to call 'Peaches' much to the annoyance of us all.

I was just waiting for him to ask about Damien but he stalled and tried to play it cool.

"Dad just ask already. I know you are dying to know" I burst out laughing when he began to tap on the steering wheel to the song playing on the radio.

"Why, was I that obvious?" He grinned and glanced at me briefly, "What did Damien do? The poor kid has been avoiding me. The other partners are even beginning to notice"

"Dad, it is between Damien and me. Someday I might tell you " I told him simply.

"I'm not getting any younger" He really wanted to know but I knew better than to unleash the crazy father side of my dad on Damien. I rolled my eyes and he pinched my forearm.

"Dad!"

"Don't roll your eyes at me"

I begun twiddling my thumbs and then reached out to change the radio station. My dad swatted my hand away.

"My car, my radio, my choice of what we listen to"

"Well I wish I had my own car" I muttered under my breath.

"Did you say something Kerry?"

I wanted to ask him so badly but the thought of betraying my resolve not to depend so much on my dad for certain privileges. I was desperate. Alexa could not keep driving me around and those late night bus rides were getting to me.

"I know I said I would not need a car but I am only now beginning to realize that you were right after all-" I started to say quickly.

"Done" he cut me off.

"What?"

"You want a new car. You would get one. How does this Saturday sound?"

It was too easy.

"Dad, I'm not taking advantage of our recent situation to guilt trip you into buying me a car" I felt sick all of a sudden.

"Oh Kerry. Can I not buy my daughter a car simply because she needs one? Besides Sumaya and I made a bet. Looks like she won. She predicted you would cave in the next month"

"You two are the very worst, you know that?" I folded my arms across my chest and glared at him. He had a satisfied grin on his face. He had seen this coming.

"Saturday, you and me. Breakfast then car shopping. I know someone in the car business who has been dying to give me a great offer" he actually reached out and patted me on the head like a dog.

"So how long did you bet I would eventually ask?"

"Three months. I overestimated how stubborn you are"

"Was aunt Jamila in on this bet too?"

"Nope. Your mother was. She bet you would ask in a year. Kerington women are independent women. Ha. You have Effah blood running through you too. Effah women know when to depend on others for help"