Chapter Ten

We were back to our reality. Back to the city where I lived with my dad and stepmom and he lived with his cousin. He was my boss and I was the executive assistant to his uncle, also my boss. We were no longer on a beach, living next door and enjoying each other's company secretly with less effort in being seen.

All theses thoughts were running through my mind as Dom took me home. He had offered to drop Paba and me off at home. Paba lives closer to him but she got off first at her apartment building before Dom drove thirty minutes away from his home to my dad's place.

We had held hands most of the trip from Paba's place to my house. He laced our fingers and idly strummed my fingers as though he were playing a ballad on a guitar.

He parked in the drive way and I made no move to get out of the car. I sat still, staring at the storey-building I called home but dreading getting out the car. The minute I got out of the car, it would feel like all the time I spent with Dom would be a dream.

"We're here" he said slowly and I could feel his eyes boring holes in the side of my face.

I turned to face him squarely.

"I don't want it to end" I told him before looking back at the house.

"It won't. We will figure out how to make it work. I'm going to see HR on Monday and when we're ready, we will make it public"

The words were meant to be comforting but they only made me think about 'going public' even more. What if we told everyone? I would become a stereotype. The personal assistants who boinked their bosses. I could not imagine the disappointment on my dad's face. Forget work and my family, what about the rest of the world so used to seeing him with Aoki. They would all be wondering who this nobody is.

"You okay?" Dom's concerned voice broke through my thoughts. His slight smile gave me a glimmer of hope. Maybe, just maybe we could make it.

I put my arms around him and hugged him. I squeezed tight, afraid he might disappear.

He hugged me back and pulled back enough so our lips were a breath away. I could feel him ready to pull away, so I closed in the space and kissed him.

I must have shocked him because he was still so I withdrew only to have him pull me back to finish the kiss. He kissed me back and deepened the kiss. Just the feel of his lips against mine made everything better. My fears subsided, almost as though they were never there.

We finally pulled apart to breathe and my eyes were still closed as I felt my heart thumping in my chest. A sharp rap on the car window sent us both flying out of each other's arms. My mother's disapproving eyes glaring at us was the icing on the nightmarish cake.

I let myself out of the car and heard Dom getting out of the car too. This was not happening.

"Mind telling me why you and your boss are locking lips and doing this while on your father's driveway for that matter?" My mum raised her arms in the air dramatically.

"I can explain" I said softly, shifting through ways to carefully explain things to my mother who was now coolly staring at Dom. Dom came around, extended his hand and said as calmly as he could, "Good evening, I'm Dominic Chase"

"I know who you are" my mum eyed his hand then shook it briefly.

"Well since you witnessed our first kiss, I should let you know that Kerry and I only just gave in to the attraction we have felt towards each other. We are sorry you had to find out this way"

"Yes I wish I met you under different circumstances" she said, relaxing a bit. Wait, that worked? That's all he said and she is okay?

"Well sorry to cut your romantic moment short but Kerry is needed inside the house" my mum continued.