Chapter Twelve

Two weeks had gone by since our weekend of romance. I was back behind my desk and he was in his office, helping his uncle run Chase Men. The only problem was we had spent the next two weekends together and yet no matter how close our faces got, our lips never met. I began to hate having cheeks because if I had no cheeks then maybe he would kiss me on the mouth instead. That was before I realized he would probably go for my forehead and I hated having a forehead too.

Chris had gotten used to seeing me in their house and the last weekend, he had come to see me at my mother's place. He even met Nii when we had dinner and drinks at Evolve. My mum had relaxed more knowing I was with him. Sumaya, surprisingly, had no qualms about me dating Dom. She seemed all for it and not her usual protective self.

So this Wednesday morning, after yet another no-kiss-date the night before, my frustration got the best of me. Dom assured me he was still figuring out how best not to violate the fraternization policy and keep our relationship too without the secrecy.

He had been locked up in his office all day, even ordered in lunch and even though I knew during office hours we only approached each other solely for business matters, I could not help feeling annoyed that I had only seen him come in and had to leave without seeing him when the business day ended yet again. I was gathering my things when Paba signaled me to go into Dom's office.

I strutted into his office, hand still on the door handle when I heard him say, "keep the door open"

We were only four people on this floor. His uncle, Paba, himself and me. His uncle had left three hours ago and Paba was just about leaving. No one was going to come up here past six to speak to Dom or his uncle knowing it was way past our working hours. I still obliged because I knew he had good reason to play it safe.

"I might have to go to Tokyo on business this weekend" he said slowly, leaning back in his chair and observing me.

"Grand. Would you like me to ask Paba to make the usual reservations for you?" I said, composed yet seething at the thought of him going to Japan. Aoki was in Japan. His usual reservations involved a suite at her favorite hotel but he was usually checked out by the next day and spent the rest of his nights at her house.

"Kerry-" he started to say but I put my hand up to silence him.

"Have a goodnight Mr. Chase" I walked out and saw Paba had already left. I snatched my stuff off the desk and got in the elevator.

I was safely in my car, when I felt tears brim my eyes. I swiped away with my right fist and started my car. So I was just the companion. He would see her and be reminded of why he was hopelessly drawn to her after being apart. Then i would be nothing more than the girl he could talk to, share moments with but Aoki was the one he wanted to kiss and do other stuff with.

I ignored his calls and put off my phone the minute I got home. I skipped dinner and went straight to bed. I wished Sumaya was here but she had night duty. Going to Alexa meant running into Damien. My dad was not in the know that left aunt Jamila and my mum. I was not ready to talk about my relationship problems with them. I hugged my covers and forced myself to sleep.

***************************************************************************************************************

Dom and I saw each other at work the following days but I did not pick his personal calls nor reply any texts he sent. I had blocked him out successfully till I got an email from him on Friday night. The email notification sound had fooled me into clicking the envelope sign and once I saw the new email was from him, I could not resist the urge to check.

Kerry, I know you are mad at me and we should talk about this. Can I at least see you tonight? I fly out tomorrow morning.

Dom