Chapter Fourteen

** Lucas Wole - David Harewood**

I was sitting cross legged at my desk, refreshing my mail every five seconds waiting on a reply from Tim, our designer who was on sick leave. I knew this man was probably Dom's best friend but I wanted to do this the professional way. I was not going to go running to my boyfriend just because his best friend was not replying an urgent email.

"Still trying to reach Tim?" Paba was probably tired of hearing me viciously attack the 'Enter' key of the keyboard with my finger.

"He won't reply the damn email. I know he is sick but I need a reply or the client is going to have me for dinner!" I said hitting the Enter key one more time. "The deadline for feedback is by close of day, Friday. Today is Friday"

Dom appeared in his doorway just as the elevator doors pulled open and my predecessor strolled in. I hardly saw her emerge from Storage. Speak of Storage, my monthly bonus was still pending. I was waiting on my boss to return from South Africa and reward me for keeping things together. I needed an employee of the month award for what I had endured this week.

"Kerry, could you please bring over those folders we discussed earlier" Dom said straight-faced to me.

I could not believe he used the 'bring some folders' line. I could just hear Sumaya, aunt Jamila and my mum laughing in my head. I knew the presence of the older lady was his reason for the coded message but she was so engrossed in whatever document she was showing Paba.

I straightened my navy blue pencil skirt as I stood up and grabbed a folder containing letters of invitation to various events my boss had received within this month alone. I was yet to file those and it was just conveniently lying on my desk.

I walked briskly into Dom's office and closed the door behind me. He was seated behind his desk now. I sat across from him and whispered, "I thought we agreed to keep things professional the minute we enter this building"

"What's in that folder?" He asked amused, pointing at the black folder in my hand.

"None of your business. Why did you call me in here?"

"Because today during our lunch break, we're going to see the HR manager" he said as he tapped the edge of his desk.

"Lunch break? When everyone is less distracted by their work? We would stroll down to the HR office together? Dom, are you deliberately trying make me endure a seizure in public?"

"I know it sounds so cliche, boss and the secretary-"

"I'm not a secretary. I'm your uncle's executive assistant" I corrected him.

"People will talk for a bit but they would get over it"

"And your uncle?"

"Let's tackle HR first then we can decide how to break the news to our respective families this weekend" he told me then picked up the intercom and said to whoever was on the other end, "Expect me at noon. I would appreciate my visit be handled delicately"

Delicately. Wealthy and powerful people's way of saying hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. My dad had taught me those terms earlier in life.

"Can I leave now? Before we arouse any suspicion" I shifted in the leather guest chair a little.

"Kerry, are you sure you're ready to take this next step?" I could see the worry in his eyes.

"See you at noon. I'll be the squirming one standing outside the HR office" I said and left his office without looking back at him.

Tim finally responded my email but it was the first line of his response that troubled me; 'Dom says you've been trying to reach me...'