chapter two - questions

chapter two: questions

The morning after the award show, the chaotic atmosphere melted away to leave a calm and serene mood in the air. Waking up beside Alex in my apartment, I don't think I've felt that relaxed in months. As we slowly woke up together, I felt grateful for finally getting one morning where I've not woke up alone or by a phone call.

Eventually making our way out of bed, I started making pancakes - my stomach rumbling in protest about my lack of food.

"You're so dramatic." Alex laughs, throwing her head to let out a giggle.

Sitting on a bar stool in the morning sun, she looks positively sleepy. Dressed in a white crop top and black shorts, she looks adorably innocent as she send me a small smile, recovering from her outburst of laughter. Gripping a glass of orange juice, she shakes her head in dismissal of my claim.

"It's true - that was the best pancake flip you've ever seen!" I exclaim, placing the frying pan back on the heat, letting the batter sizzle quietly.

The sweet smell fills the air as my body moves, collecting toppings for the pancakes. Loose shorts hang off my hips, but my chest remains daringly bare as the pan splutters in front of me. Careful to not get any hot batter onto me, I pull my body away slightly as I grab the pan to flip them for the second time.

"Look, look." I urge before flipping the pancake in a mediocre fashion. It's not as good as my claim, but seeing her light up makes me want to continue. "That was amazing."

"Sure, whatever you say." She finally agrees, rolling her eyes.

Standing up, she walks around the counter and wraps her arm round my torso. Her body is warm as she lays a quick kiss on my shoulder blade. Unraveling her arms, she come to stand beside me.

"These look great, can we eat yet? I feel like I'm decaying away over here with hunger." She whines, grabbing the syrup from beside me and then returning to her seat.

Cooking the last pancake, I take it off the pan. Grabbing our two plates that are now filled, I place one stack in front of Alex and take a seat beside her - my own plate in front of me and after we both place an inhuman amount of syrup on them, we dig in.

"I don't know why you attempt to make savory dishes. Just make me pancakes all the time and I'll be happy." Alex quips, turning round to smile at me.

"Sure, date me for the food then." I scoff jokingly, before reaching over the table to grab her hand and squeeze it in reassurance.

After our breakfast, we quickly get ready. Showers are taken, clothes are chosen and bags are packed. Eventually getting ready into my dark blue shirt and black jeans, (as instructed by management) I'm ready to go. Walking to my front door, I see Alex waiting there for me, a pout on her face.