chapter eight - terror

The headlines streamed in one after another

The headlines streamed in one after another. The phones didn't stop ringing. There were shouts of confusion. Shouts of panic.

I left them all behind.

Leaving management's building, my mind whirls with terror after what I just witnessed.

The video of Alex talking to a group of fans began innocent and made me smile. But when the sound of confusion rippled through the crowd, it was audible through the video. A man in black shoved his way through the crowd and punched my living breathing angel.

She feel to the floor in an instant, my heart failing to stay steady as my eyes rapidly took in the video. She lay unconscious on the cold, dirty street as people stood in shock. The man who will haunt my dreams made a B-line and that's all I saw before I threw myself out of my door and ran down to get a taxi.

It's sudden and I don't have time to call Mr Walden to make him come over. Realizing I have no other choice, I step out into the bright daylight.

The shouts of paparazzi surround me, shouting and flashing the camera's at me as I try to reach the end of the sidewalk. Shoving a reporter's arm off me, their incessant questions pass through my head.

"Where are you going?"

"Why are you in such a rush, Mr Williams?"

"Relationship problems?"

"Have you heard about your fellow cast member?"

The last one made me scoff and send a dirty glare at him. Was this a joke? Did I know?

Of course I knew. She was my happiness and I always want to make sure she's safe. The thought of not looking out for her is a foreign concept in my mind and the memory of not loving her has become just that. A memory.

But the paused video on my phone reminds me of how even if we follow her constantly, she'll never be safe. The thought of it makes me want to be sick as my stomach rolls with the possibilities of what has happened to her.

Yes, it was a punch. One punch. But she crumpled like a piece of paper and I know that's not a good sign. What if she's hurt her head? Memory loss is now a possibility and where she is in her career, she can't afford that type of set-back.

After literally shoving my way past five more members of the paparazzi, my breathing is labored as I haul a taxi. Getting in one, I rush to tell them to take me to the hospital as I check my phone again.

The video remains where I paused it and it's a crystal clear image of her on the floor. Her body is slightly curled, as if trying to protect herself even when she's unconscious. The image makes me want to be there with her, to protect her with my own body. But I'm not and the thought of it makes me bite my knuckle in an attempt to keep my tears at bay.

The breaking-news headlines continue to flow in and I follow them, no matter how much it hurts me to see the screenshots taken from the viral video that went up a mere twenty minutes ago.