chapter thirty two - celebrations

I couldn't decide how I felt

I couldn't decide how I felt. A mix between apprehension and elation had caused a strange blockage within me, leaving an odd feeling of calmness throughout. Random spikes of anxiety would shoot through me every so often but the overall feeling of calmness had settled in and I was beyond thankful for it. Today of all days was the time to remain composed under the pressure but the more I thought about it, the harder it became.

I was worried about her in all honesty. The nightmares has faded off and therapy was no longer needed but if something like that was to happen again because of the announcement today, I would never forgive myself. After all I had pushed this decision, it was up to me to make things go smoothly. It was the least I could do. I know she's on board but agreeing with something and being happy about it are two very different things.

Our interview confirming our relationship was a live stream. Only a handful of people got to watch it as it was live because the show only shows it once. It then appears on their official show that was happening tonight. This time the whole world was going to be able to see it, no matter what the timing. Our announcement could be re-watched, recorded, paused and analysed. This was the true make or break however at this stage there was nothing we could do about it now.

My arm remained firm against Alex's waist as I drew her body closer to mine. She was never close enough. The strong bond between us drew us closer and closer but we were never physically close enough. Still the sight of her in my arms with her head on my chest created a protective love which eased the urge to pull her closer because she was close enough. For now.

The sunlight shone through with light, feathery whispers of another hot day. Summer was hitting New York hard but with the months drawing into a close I was determined to appreciate every golden moment before the frosty darkness caved in around us and turned the city from picturesque to damp and dull.

A murmur came out of Alex's mouth as she stretched. Covering her mouth with her hand she lets out a yawn before smiling sleepily at me.

"Good morning." I smile, appreciating being the first one up for once.

"Good morning, why are you up so early?" She asks, kissing my bicep before resuming her previous position with her head on my chest.

"Just thinking," I hum before she looks at me to explain. "About how we're going public. How everything's going to change."

"Which doesn't have to be a bad thing." Alex points out.

"No. It doesn't. Nearly everything that's happening is amazing."

"Nearly everything?"

"Yeah. I'm up this early, this is going to be catastrophic later on."

Alex lets out a laugh and I sigh in contentedness. Drawing her closer, I place a kiss on her forehead as the last giggles erupt from her mouth.