chapter nineteen - surprises

My eyelids remain firmly shut, the weight of the night before restricting them from opening

My eyelids remain firmly shut, the weight of the night before restricting them from opening. My mouth is gasping for air, cotton wool being stuffed into over night. But I can't move, it's impossible with my mind still spinning in the thoughts of the previous night. They come back in broken chunks, like pieces slowly being sellotaped together. But it's not the same and the edges are slightly blurry as the sellotape and my mind, struggles to put everything into the right order.

I roll over in my impossibly comfy bed and bury my face into a pillow, more grateful than ever that I don't have a roommate or someone who can make noise. My head is pounding and the silence that drifts about my apartment is blissful, my body relaxes at it. I let out a groan as nausea rolls through my stomach, regretting that last beer that I faintly (emphasis on faintly) remember ordering.

God, I hate mornings. What an awful time. In fact the only person who makes the better is Alex. She's the only person I could tolerate right now but alas, she's not here. She's not here and I'm all alone. In an apartment with my previous actions wrecking havoc on my body.

As my mind begins to drift off again, knocking echoes across my room. Across my skull, in fact, sending pain across it. I grunt, slowly standing up from the bed to go answer it. Knowing it'll be someone from my list, I go to answer the door in boxers - knowing that everybody on that list won't care if I do. Reaching the door, I swing it open with my eyes barely adjusting to the brightness that wasn't present in my dark room.

I answer it with half an eye open, but I'm fully awake once I take in Alex standing in front of me. Clutching a paper bag that's full of stuff as well as her figure being drowned in one of my hoodies that she stole from me, she looks adorable. Tilting my head, I smile when she doesn't talk - her eyes trained on my bare chest.

"Yes?" I ask, staring at her face.

My voice takes her out of whatever trance she's in and I try to refrain from laughing. She looks up at me with wide eyes before clearing her throat.

"What? Oh yeah, I'm here to look after you." She nods, finally lifting her gorgeous blue eyes to meet mine.

"Look after me?" I ask, my voice groggy even to my own ears.

"Oh yeah, have you seen the photos?" Alex asks, laughing.

She smiles at me as I groan, covering my eyes with my hand. Using my other hand to open the door wider, Alex brushes past me, planting a kiss on my cheek as she walks in.

"I would kiss you on the lips but I suspect you haven't brushed your teeth." Alex smiles, putting her stuff on the counter as I come into my kitchen.

"You're right. I'm barely living right now, you know." I frown, my headache coming in waves. Another has just reached the shore that is my skull.

"You poor thing," Alex pouts but I can see her smile through it. "Good job I'm here to save you."

"Save me?" I ask.