chapter eleven - meetings

"I'm so totally freaking out right now

"I'm so totally freaking out right now." Alex says, tipping her head back and resting it against the head rest of the car.

Low music hums in the background as Mr Walden drives us in to Doug's house whilst he sits silently - his eyes fixated on the road. The invitation was random and the request to see us both has made me more worried than ever before. The kind of worry that has the two side of you battling. The light and the dark, one saying it's going to be fine, the other saying this is it - it's over. I can't help but agree with the dark side, a morbid cloud settling over my heart like a cloud on a sunny day.

"We're going to be fine." I lie through my teeth. Not letting Alex in is probably for the best, she'll only freak out more and she doesn't need that right now with her injuries.

"Are we, though? Because I don't know of any other crew members being invited to Doug's house for a chat." She sighs, agitation lining her voice as helplessness consumes us more and more every second.

Plus, every second that we're stuck sitting in this car, we have nothing to do except ponder in our thoughts. Often called the most dangerous place, I'm being to now beginning to wonder if it's the most poisonous place instead because I feel sick the more I stay in silence. With my stomach rolling and the back of neck in a cool sweat, I decide to break the quiet.

"So, what are we going to tonight?" I ask casually, acting as if we're not driving into the possible death of our relationship. Which I won't let happen.

"Huh? Tonight we're sorting this out with Doug and then we're going to come up with more precautions." Alex says, her tone clipped.

Turning my head to the side, I lean over and take her chin between my thumb and forefinger to direct her attention onto me. With her blue orbs finally settled on mine, I smile at her.

"You and me okay? We're a team here." I nod, trying to calm her down, knowing the last comment wasn't directed at me but instead at our situation.

Alex blows out a breath and bites her lip, my heart races in response. "Sorry. God, I didn't mean for that to sound like that. I'm just scared."

"I know. But we're going to get through this." I repeat, trying to get the reassurance embedded into her brain and my own.

"Yeah, we are." She says, her lips tugging upwards in a desperate attempt to show her fake happiness.

Hoping to bring out a proper smile that I've fallen in love with, I lean forward and press my lips to her own. Moving them slowly, Alex groans in frustration when I don't go any further. Gripping onto her hands as I pull back, I internally question why I'm not stopping this car right now.

"You know I can't go in if you keep kissing me like that." I say.

"I know." Alex laughs, her genuine smile appearing like sunshine at the end of a storm - blindingly bright and a symbol of relief.