chapter eighteen - interviews

I was on time as expected, but the woman I was most concerned about was not - as usual

I was on time as expected, but the woman I was most concerned about was not - as usual. Alex's absence was missed by me but everyone else around me seemed perfectly okay with it. They were buzzing around in a flurry of excitement whilst trying to put everything together.

I was sitting right where I was supposed to, not moving for anything or anyone. Letting the make-up artist do whatever she wanted to me, I nodded a thanks and left my seat, making my way through to the next room which was ladled with electronic devices. Saying Hi to whoever was working, they set me up with my microphone and attached it to the navy shirt I was wearing - showing me how to check that it was on and everything was working.

Reassuring me that it wouldn't turn on until there was only ten seconds left until we were live, I left the room and made my way over to the main stage. Three other cast members were there and we quietly talked to each other as people stressed out around us. It wasn't my turn to panic. Yet.

My turn to stress came in about five minutes when the lights became bright, the camera's started rolling and the eyes of the audience were allowed to look at us.

Doing a live interview for the upcoming series of Queries, the main cast was gathered to do an exclusive interview for some channel. It's the first interview Alex and I have done since the taxi driver ruined everything. Judging from last nights phone call, Alex was stressed. I tried to play it off that I wasn't, but in reality I was. But it was one interview and as long as we stuck to our usual topics, we could just about make it through this. Or, that's what I'm telling myself, anyway.

The cast gathers and as Alex finally runs in with another member of the cast, she quickly smirks at me to say made it but plays it off as a smile as she greets another cast member. She sits two people away from me - all eight of us arranged onto a long sofa.

The crowd slowly filters in, waving to us discreetly as they remain under strict instructions from security, presumably. I wave back at a tiny cute girl who's mum is tugging her along eagerly. The stands fill up before we know it and soon, there's one hundred pairs of eyes on us and quiet is being called.

The presenter, who turned up later than Alex somehow, opens up the show before quickly turning to us.

"So, cast of Queries, how are you all?" He asks.

We all murmur a good, nodding in sync. He smiles before landing his eyes on the guy closest to him, he gets interviewed first but his questions are easy, all of them being based on the show. The presenter turns to me next, a devilish glint in his eye. Of course.

"So, most eligible bachelor of the acting world, how are you?" He asks.

I let out a laugh. "Too kind. But I'm good thanks."

"And how's your character this season?" He asks.

I want to cry with happiness when these questions come up. Related, easy to answer and frankly, the only kind of questions we should be answering. "Really good actually, I think this season shows a lot more sides to his character."