epilogue - part two

Beginning to move forward, the doors open and I step out into the daylight

Pure, golden sunlight crosses my eyes in the first initial seconds. Blinding me with strong light, it slowly wears off as we move forward. Three rows on either side of the aisle are filled with our loved ones, smiling at me with teary watery eyes that shine with pride. Delicate pink and white flowers that are intertwined rest on the back of the white seats. I hear the click of the photographer as I move down the aisle.

We had distracted the paparazzi by announcing our engagement two weeks ago - so no-one could guess that we would have a wedding so soon. Throwing them off, we've kept our wedding small and secluded. So far, so good and the glints of hope are slowly turning into a raging fire as I think we can get away with this. I know we will, everything inside of me is shouting that we will.

I'm half aware of the pressure of my Dad's hand against my own. The continuous muffled happy murmurs from my Mom. But I'm only briefly aware of it all, however, as every single minuscule detail evaporates into nothingness as soon as my eyes land on Theo. Dressed in black slacks with a white shirt and pale pink tie, his hair frames his beaming face in an array of rebellion. His eyes catch mine and I drown in their chocolate depths, savoring every moment as I realise I get to look into them for the rest of my life.

My heart pounds against my chest in an erratic thump, thump, thump, but I'm only briefly concerned that it may be audible. My dad comes to a stop at the end of the aisle and I nearly stumble forward as I continue walking towards Theo. Nobody notices it apart from him, the action making his smile wider - if that's even possible.

Kissing me on the cheek, my Dad murmurs, "I'm so proud of you." Before taking his place by his seat.

Shocked by a wave of emotion, I hesitantly clear my throat as Theo takes my hand, drawing me closer to his body. I pass off my flowers to Clara, who stands with tears in her eyes. Turning back, I face Theo and let out a breath. He's the kind of beautiful that makes you want to take a moment to appreciate what you're looking at and so I take exactly that as the officiant welcomes everybody.

I memorize the curl of his lips, the depth of his eyes. His unruly hair and the strength of his hands placed in mine. The strong body, the broad shoulders. How he calculates the right moment to squeeze my hands with the pressure that screams I love you. I take a moment to appreciate every detail that he is and as I stand there, pride expanding in my chest as I take this man as my own. We've waited three years to get married, but the wait is worth it.

I'm briefly aware of the mention of vows, but nothing kicks in until Theo squeezes my hand and takes a deep breath. My breathing stops completely as I will myself to stay standing.

Thump, thump, thump.

"Alex, it's a miracle we've gotten here," He begins and a murmur of agreement runs through the crowd. "We were forbidden in the beginning but there wasn't a single thing they could throw at us to stop me being with you. You are the person for me. My forever. My light at the end of the tunnel. I'll spend my life proving that to you. I love you, Alexandria Woods."