Chapter 94

MEANWHILE...

YEONG-GI:

"Nana! I'm home!" I call out.

Placing my keys on the counter, I hear her reply, "Ya don't have to yell! I'm old, nae blind. I saw ya comin' in."

I grin. Same old Nana. I know she and my mom didn't get along at times, but my Nana always came through for me. And has helped me when I even know I needed it.

************Yeong-Gi's memory flashes back to 11 years ago***********

PLACE: Ireland

Yeong-Gi's age: 8

"Nana! Nana! Nana!" I call out as I run into her arms. Seeing her always cheers me up. She makes the best biscuits.

"Och! And who is this wee thing?" she asks as she catches me. "Cannae be my wee bonnie Nol."

I laugh at her silliness. "It's me Nana!"

"Hm...it sure sounds like me bonnie Nol," she continues. "But my Nol went to see his da and brother."

Aaaand now my good cheer tanked at the reminder of my visit. I think Nana sensed this too.

She looks at me with concerned and asks, "What happened boyo? Didnae ya brother like gift ya gave him?"

I look away. "H-He threw it away, Nana." I can't cry in front of Nana. She'll tell Mam for sure! I sniffle and put on me best smile. "B-but that's ok. I'll get him a betta' present next year."

"Mmhm..." she murmurs. "Well it's a good ting ya came when ya did, boyo." She turns with me in her arms.

"Nana? Where are we going?" I ask.

"Och, boyo. I cannae tell ya now," she answers. "Tis a secret."

Ok, now she's got me so intrigued that I forgot all about what happened with older brother.

So, other than my raised brow, I say nothing as she walks me to her shed. Whatever secret she wants to tell me, it can't be done in the open. Must be super top secret, I reasoned. She opens the shed and shows me...an American car! I gasp in shock, but I quickly cover my mouth. I can't afford to be overheard!

Nana chuckles and gives me a reassuring pat, "It's ok Nol. We're safe in here." I uncover my mouth. If Nana says we're safe, then we're safe.

She sets me down and tells me, "Don't tell ya da, and especially that q-tip brother of yours." I laugh at Nana calling older brother a q-tip. She continues, grinning at the sound of my laughter, "This wagan belonged to ya grandda...and he left it just for you."

Me?

"Aye! And he gave me specific instruction to keep it safe until ya are ready."

"But Nana," I reply. "How can be ready for grandda's wagan when I cannae even drive?"

Nana laughs and says, "Och no boyo! That day will come before ya know it. Nae, today is the day ya become ready to learn how to be a man with it."

Now we're talking!

*****************PRESENT DAY*********************

I put my grandda's keys – my keys – on the counter and head to my room. I know what people think about my car. It's an old American car that, honestly, shouldn't even be running on some days.

But since I was 8, Nana should me how to make this wagan purr. She taught what each part does and how to take care of it. She even taught me how to build its engine from scratch...in case I needed it.