Chapter 133: Fault (Part 1, Alyssa)

SHIN-AE

I'm used to people talking behind my back. Even to people spewing their hatred directly at my face. I wasn't used to, however, people talking about me...in front of me.  As if I'm not in the room.

Guys, I'm literally right here.

Kousuke pulls Yeong-Gi aside. "What have you done to Ms. Yoo?"

He yanks out of Kousuke's hold with stunning ease. "Me?"

"You were the only one with her, and she sure wasn't distressed before you got to her."

Before Yeong-Gi could answer, I interrupt their fight. "Ms. Yoo is right here." Yeong-Gi and Kousuke turn to face me at the same time.

Well, this is going to be fuuun.

I look at Kousuke's concerned stance. I don't understand this boy. Before I could get off work, he wanted to interrogate me about the reporter- as if the whole incident was my fault. And now he's throwing a hissy fit because I cried?

As respectfully as I can, I let him know. "Kousuke, I know I'm just an assistant-in-training, but if there's a problem concerning me, shouldn't you talk to me about it? I mean, this is the second time I've found you talking behind my back. The first time it was behind closed doors. And now it's while I'm in the same room as you." I drag my fingers through my hair, before I cross my arms over my chest.

I turn to his brother, with one goal in mind. "Yeong-Gi, thank you... for calming me down. You're a good friend. And tell your grandmother thank for me as well. But..." I look off to the side as I finish. The double set of Hirahara eyes on me drills holes in my chest. "But I don't think I should stay here."

"Shin-ae, no. It's not safe." Yeong-Gi insists.

His baffling brother decides to chime in. "For once, YEONG-GI is correct, Mrs. Yoo."

MEANWHILE IN JAPAN

Alyssa

I step out of the car, giving the driver a nice tip. "Come back in an hour or two, this should take long!" I tell him with as much cheeriness as I can muster.

"Will do, miss." He takes the money, and after shutting the car door behind me, he drives away. I look between the Sunbucks café and my watch.

10:15 gozen.

Mrs. Hirahara should be here any minute. I put my mask on and I cover the bottom half of my face. Pulling the bill of my ballcap lower, I walk inside and take a seat at a table. My heel bounces under my seat each minute that passes. I know I shouldn't but I pull out my Jack Daniels canister. This has been my life-line since the disaster at the Kim's formal. Pulling my mask to the side, I take a quick swig. Just for my nerves. I can stop. I can. I take another, remembering the events that lead to that night.

***ALYSSA'S MEMORY. 1 WEEK BEFORE THE KIM'S FORMAL***

My muscle began to ache, trying to keep the pose. It's for my fans, I tell myself. They'll see this and they'll love me even more for it. 

"Almost done, darling!" cheered the photographer.

I was supposed to video-chat with Meg half an hour ago. But my publicist was able to schedule this shoot and insisted it would be good for my fans. I didn't want to let anyone down. And Meg would understand, right?

By the time I was done, I headed quickly to my hotel room and opened my laptop.

[...connecting...] it rings.

Just when I thought Meg wouldn't pick up, she did. I knew she wouldn't be mad at me.

"Alyssa? *HIC* Famous baby *HICC-UP* sister, that...that you?" Meg asked.

Is she drunk? She probably had a few too many with some friends.

I pasted on my warmest smile. "Of course, it's me! I'm so sorry I didn't call you sooner. I was-"

"Busy," Meg finished for me. "I know. *HIC* Iss ok! Guess what?? Kousuke took me on our first date! Kyaa! And Mrs. Hirahara iss so nissse. She treated me with a girls-night-out! *HIC* Especially after she found out you ditched me."

"I know," I felt so bad, but at least she wasn't alone. "But work has been - "

"Oh! That reminds me!" Meg interrupted, again. "Mrs. Hirahara wanted to know if you'll be going to the Kim's Formal. She said if you go, then she'll help me get alone with Kousuke!"

I grinned at my sister's obsession. "I'll check with my publicist tomorrow." Depending on how drunk she is, she'll probably not remember this whole conversation. Better wrap this up and head to bed. "Listen, Meg. Let's pick this up latter, ok?"

"Ugh, fine! *HIC* Ya betta not dish me again. Got it! I'm still your older sissa you know!"

"I won't. Night Meg!"

"Night!"

[...disconnected...] the call ended.  Now I could least start getting ready for bed. My toothbrush vibrated against my teeth as my phone vibrates on the counter with a notification.

I looked at the screen. It came from my publicist. Odd. Clenching the toothbrush in my mouth, I opened her text message.

[Don't worry about tomorrow's schedule Alyssa! I made sure you're free for Mrs. Hirahara! Why didn't you tell me you had plans with her? She's a powerful woman, you know!]

Huh? I didn't make plans with Mrs. Hirahara. 

DEFINITIONS:

gozen =  morning in Japanese