Chapter 97

KOUSUKE:

Nola taught me many things. Such as Respect and Acceptance. She gave me plenty of opportunity to practice them on her, too. Even after the...after she...

No, stop. It does no good to bring up the past. Especially now.

Nola's lessons and Shin-ae's obvious distress made my decision clear. I square my shoulders and clear my throat. I have to ensure Shin-ae knows my decision is final.

Looking down my nose at her, I simply say, "It is done."

SHIN-AE:

"It is done," Kousuke says.

Ehh?? That's it? No long condescending lectures? Nothing??

I know I'm being paranoid and that I should keep my mouth shut but I have to ask, "So...you're not going to fire me?"

Kousuke sighs. "No, Ms. Yoo. I am not. At least not today. We still made an arrangement, you and I."

"Oh..." I nod. "But, why?" I blurt out.

Crap! Why Shin-ae?? Ugghh!! You were in the clear! Brain, why didn't you stop my mouth?!?

"Hm," Kousuke grunts. "What's done, is done, Ms. Yoo. Neither you nor I can change the past; though, we may wish it."

Yeah, no kidding.

"But," he continues, "You misled me out of fear, or whatever emotion was running high on that horrid day. You have every right to those emotions. Afterall, you were hospitalized because of my idiot brother. And my mother instigated nearly, if not entirely, the whole fiasco. So, I will not penalize you for it."

I nearly sigh with relief until he steps closer, making me back up. I guess he's not done.

"However," he begins after a slight pause.

Yup, I knew it. Here it comes.

"I do not want this action of misleading or lying to be the first reaction you have towards me," he states. That sounds fair. "Furthermore, I require honesty," he continues. "Ms. Yoo, if you and I are to pursue this deal you proposed, then we must ensure we have nothing but honesty between us."

Taken aback at this cool, collected, not-too-critical Kousuke, I can do nothing but nod in agreement.

Seemingly appeased by my mute affirmation, he steps back. "Very well. Gather the rest of your items, Ms. Yoo. I will drive you to your Maya's family home. That is where you staying, correct?"

Now I'm shocked he even remembered my friend's name. "Yeah...just let me get the rest of my things." I turn away from him and walk to my room.

When I come back out with a single duffle bag, Kousuke raises his brow and points to the bag, "That it?"

"Um...yes?" I respond. What kind of question is that?

But Kousuke just shakes his head. "No, I do not believe you. There's no way a girl your age, who needs to relocate indefinitely, could contain every necessity in that single cheap bag."

If it wasn't considered rude or could endanger my job, I'd roll my eyes and give him the finger. But I don't. I have a bet to win. So, I settle with a simple, "This girl can and did."

"Are you challenging me, Ms. Yoo?"

"No sir, I'm just stating a fact." Ok, maybe I am challenging him. But he started it! Besides, I also packed some of Papa's clothes and any papers that looked important. Papa needs something clean to wear when he gets discharged and I don't want my stalker/intruder to learn anymore important details about us. Even if she does turn out to be my sister, she's still a stranger to me and I have no intention of returning to the apartment. Not without Papa.

"Hm," Kousuke grunts again. "Fine. I do not want to discover that you returned here, Ms. Yoo."

As we walk out the door, I tell him, "Trust me, I won't be coming back here anytime soon."

"Trust..." I think he mumbles. "You recall what we just discussed moments ago, do you not?"

Don't roll your eyes. Don't roll your eyes.

I take a deep breathe. "Yes, Kousuke. I remember." I was there. "I know I will have to earn your trust, but tonight, please believe me. The last thing I want to do, is return to this place without my dad."

Kousuke says nothing as he takes my bag and puts it in his trunk. Nothing still as he comes around and opens my door.

I get in gingerly, not sure what is going through his head. I don't understand him sometimes. He's quick to judge, mostly pompous, and yet he goes around correcting the wrongs I receive. First it was the guy who strapped me in the wheel chair. Then the lady at the mall, then with his mother, then Sang-chul, then his mother again...he even corrected the wrongs I might have received from himself.

I am a little in my own head so I didn't realize when Kousuke slides into the driver's seat and starts the car. Other than asking me for Maya's address, we sat in silence on the way there. So, it gave me time to think and wonder: is Kousuke doing these things because he's a decent human being (deep deep down), or is he wanting something from me? Yeong-Gi wanted my number and friendship. His mom wanted, I don't know, chaos or something.

But with Kousuke...he allows me call him by his first name. He never calls me by mine; but then again, he is my boss. Is that it? Wait! No, I remember! He DID call me by first name, right before he burst into my home! But then why...

"Kousuke?" I ask. 

"Yes, Ms. Yoo?"

"Why did you call me by my first name?" I think I just saw him pale. Huh, weird. But I trudge on. "It's just, before you surged into my apartment, you cried out my first name. Only... you've only called me Ms. Yoo."

I turn to him, but his eyes stay fixed on the road. After clearing his throat, "I apologize Ms. Yoo if my outburst made you uncomfor - "

"No, the name isn't a problem," I interrupt. "And you didn't make me uncomfortable."

"Hm. Then why the question?"

Ugh, way to go Shin-ae...NOW you've definitely made yourself uncomfortable.

"Um...I, uh..." I stammer. "I guess I want to know if you're going to be calling me by my first name for now on."

I look at him and watch his face for an answer.  He says nothing and eyes remain on the road.  I guess I'm too busy looking at his q-tip face that I don't even realize he parked.

"We're here, Ms. Yoo," he says, still looking straight ahead.

"Oh! Ok," I look around. Huh, that trip went quicker than I expected. "I...guess I'll be going then."

"Let me help you with your bag," he states as he exits the car. I sit in the front seat, trying to understand why my boss looked upset at my innocent question. It was innocent, right?

Great, now I'm starting to give myself question. As long as I don't answer myself, I won't be admitted to a funny farm, right?

Thankfully, I don't answer myself as I exit the passenger side and take my duffle bag from Kousuke.

"Ms. Yoo," he says.

"Yes?" I ask looking up at him.

"I - " Kousuke get's interrupted by Mrs. Park bursting through the front door.

"Shin-ae! Shin-ae!" Mrs. Park calls out. "I'm so glad you're here! I've been worried sick!" As she comes closer, both Kousuke and I turn away from each other and face her.

Eyeing between Kousuke and myself, she asks, "And who is this young man?"

Kousuke took this opportunity to introduce himself, "Hirahara Kousuke." After respectfully greeting her, he informs her, "I am Ms. Yoo's employer. Considering Ms. Yoo's safety, I no longer believe it safe for her to commute via public transportation."

"I agree, Mr. Hirahara," she says. "But unfortunately, we don't have a vehicle to spare her at the moment so - "

"So that is why I propose I or the company's driver bring her home," Kousuke announces.