Chapter 126

KOUSUKE:

"Ms. Yoo, we do have much to discuss, unfortunately."  I need to understand what that reporter said to her.

"Can't it wait until Monday?" she pleas. "It's going to be 10pm and my father would be worried about if he doesn't hear from me."

That excuse was polite and flawless. And I don't like it. I should be proud of her transformation, but I'm not.

I feel the muscle in my jaw click in my effort to conceal my conflicting (and nonsensical) emotions. "Very well, Ms. Yoo. I'm sorry to have kept you." I turn to Nol and demand, "Ensure Ms. Yoo's safe return to the Park's residence." Not waiting for an answer, I turn back to the elevator and head to my office.

Whatever irritation I have towards Ms. Yoo's rebuff is shoved aside. Between Yujing's reappearance, the reporters, the puzzling financial files, and father's strange demand of Ms. Yoo – I have enough on my plate. I don't need the headache of illogical emotions.

Still...

SHIN-AE

Before knocking at the door, I look between the house number and the paper Mrs. Lochlainn gave me. Yup...this is the right address. I take deep breathe and knock. Rika stands next to me while her dad waits in the car.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Rika asks.

"I'm sure," I insist.

Before Rika can say another word, the door opens. "Shin-ae, lass. Is everything ok?"

"Oh um," my words stumble out of my mouth. "This is my friend, Rika and um, I'm sorry for the intrusion, Mrs. Lochlainn. I – uh..."

Mrs. Lochlainn opens the door wider. "Why don't ya come in lass. We can discuss more o'er a cuppa."

Rika and I share a confused look on what exactly she's offering. But she hasn't turned me away or pointed a gun in my face (like she said she did to that reporter in her story) so I guess I'm ok to enter her home.

"Have a seat, lass. Whatever is havin' ya run scared, it won't reach ya here." Mrs. Lochlainn gestures to her living room sofa and we take a seat, unsure of what to expect. Maybe sensing our apprehension, Mrs. Lochlainn just continues in her cheery Irish accent. "Can I get ya anything to eat lass? There's nothing food cannae fix."

Rika stiffens next to me. "Uh, Shin-ae." She whispers. "Are you sure you want to stay here? Because if she brings out a gingerbread house, I think we'll be the next Hansel and Gretel. I mean, do you even really know this woman?"

Before I can even form an answer, Mrs. Lochlainn bursts into laughter. We turn to her, confused by her sudden bought of laughter. "Och, lass." She manages to get out, wiping a stray tear from her eye. "Ya didnnae tell me ya had such funny friends." She turns to Rika. "I like ya, lassie. I do. Ya remind me of me late husband, may he rest in peace. Verra cautious, and took him time to warm up to strangers. I cannae blame ya. But if it helps ya at all – nae, lass. I donnae care for luring children to my home just to turn them into baked goods."

A pregnant pause fills the room as her demeanor shifted from amused to concerned. She turns her green-eyed gaze to me. "But Shin-ae, I too am curious what happened that made you run to my door so soon." Mrs. Lochlainn leaned in close, and with a hushed worried voice, "Was it those eejit reporters? Are you running from 'em, lass?"

I nod, ignoring Rika's alarmed countenance. "What the-?" squeals Rika. "Who are you? How do you know what Shin-ae's going through?"

I know Rika means well. I haven't explained or shared much of my life with her...or Maya. And while I appreciate Rika's attempts to be there for me, I realize that I need to be a better friend. 

Tomorrow, I decide. 

Tomorrow I'll explain it all to her, but right now I need her to go home. It's late, and I fear what would happen to Rika and Mr. Jayce if the reporters found them with me. I can't risk it.

Turning to my remaining female friend, "Rika, I need you do to me a favor." I plea.

From the fear in my voice, Rika faces me. "Anything – what is it?"

"I need you to trust me. I know I haven't been the most forthright with you, but I promise tomorrow I'll tell you everything. But right now..." I trail off with a sigh. "Right now, I need you and your dad to go home. I can't bare to drag you and your family into my chaotic life. I don't want that burden on you." My eyes glance at Mrs. Lochlainn, who excuses herself to the kitchen to give us privacy. "This lady – Mrs. Lochlainn – has no personal ties to me. But you do. You saw the reporters.  They are determined to find me. And if they find out about our friendship - "

I'm immediately cut off when Rika throws herself at me with a tight hug. "Ok," she yields. "I'll trust you. But..." she pulls back. "But why do you think the reporters are after you?"

A lump forms in my throat. I don't have any evidence, but if I had to guess, I think it's because of what happened at the company party. So I simply tell Rika, "I don't know anything for sure, but tomorrow I'll tell you what I suspect."

Rika nods. "Alright. Tomorrow." After one last surprise hug, she gets off the couch and walks to the door. Before she walks out the door, she turns back. "Oh, Shin-ae! I forgot to tell you. Maya got a phone call from Min Hyuk. He's coming home from America a week early." My body stiffens with anxiety.

Shoot me now...The party is just 2 weeks away – so Min Hyuk will be coming next week! 

And Maya is still mad at me, or I would have known this already. I groan and let my head fall all into my hands – my fingers shielding my face. I'm so caught up in my stress, that I don't notice the tapping sound of footsteps coming closer.

When I feel a gentle hand on my shoulder, I peer through the gaps of my fingers. It's Rika. She stands next to me, understanding etched in her face.