Chapter 123

Chapter 123

SHIN-AE:

I look at the time and I quickly head to Kousuke's office. It's 5 minutes till 10pm – giving me enough time to get my backpack from his office and get to the bus stop before he notices me. I really don't want to ride with him today. After he blamed me for the reporter incident, I have been avoiding him all day and stuck to Jayce like glue. I'm slowly getting the hang of this assistance stuff – minus a few incidents that was so not my fault.

(Recalling incidents)

First, that copy machine hates me. I follow all of Mr. Jayce's instructions and it just yells at me with a series of beeps and red lights. Jayce comes back and it's working no problem! Stupid machine. I glared at it the rest of the day.

Then, I learned that the food in the conference room isn't for just any employees.  Mr. Jayce found me eating some and horror on his face confused me. Apparently, that sacred cuisine is for the big bosses. When he told me this, I felt like my stomach betrayed me. After that, I lost my appetite for the rest of the day. Hopefully, only Mr. Jayce saw it and no one else.  Lord only knows what Kousuke might do if he found out. 

I peak inside Kousuke's office to check if he's there. So far so good. I let out a sigh of relief and snag my backpack. I make to the elevator without any problem, but when I see the exit sign across from me, I hear my name being called from someone I had hoped to avoid.

"Ms. Yoo," Kousuke's all-business voice calls out.

I panic and pretend not to hear. To my side, I notice Yeong-Gi walking towards the exit. Perfect! "Yeong-Gi!" I call out.

He stops and turns, and I quicken my pace to him. Before he can utter a word, I whisper. "Please Yeong-Gi. I have no time to explain, I need to avoid Kousuke for tonight."

"Ms. Yoo!" Kousuke's voice sounds a little louder. I think he's coming closer.

Yeong-Gi looks behind me to Kousuke and then back to me. I guess he saw something on my face, because he simply nods his head in silent agreement.

"Ms. Yoo."

I close my eyes. Judging by the nearness of his tone, Kousuke is standing right behind me. I turn around, plaster a smile on my face, and try to shove my emotions aside the way my etiquette classes taught me. "Oh hey Kousuke! Everything ok in the office?" 

Play it cool Shin-ae. Play it cool.

"The office work is satisfactory Ms. Yoo." He replies. "However, I tried to call you and you failed to respond." He crosses his arms. "Do you not recall our agreement this afternoon?"

"Oh yea! I forgot to tell you, um...you see, I uh..." 

C'mon Shin-ae! Think!

"It's my fault," Yeong-Gi interjects. Both Kousuke and I look to him, confusion evident in our faces. "Shin-ae wanted to get some fast food for her dad before she heads back to Maya's house. As you know, brother, Shin-ae has a stalker and I thought it'd be safer if I took her."

I can feel my jaw wanting to unhinge. What is this boy doing? I asked for help, not an alternate reality! I mean, yea ok, his lie isn't outside the realm of possibility... but still!

Kousuke grunts. "Hm. I see." He turns to me. "Ms. Yoo, we do have much to discuss, unfortunately."

"Can't it wait until Monday?" I plea. "It's going to be 10pm soon and my father would be worried about if he doesn't hear from me." 

See easy that was? Now that isn't a lie and it gets me out of trouble and temporarily away from Kousuke.

A muscle in Kousuke's jaw clicks in some unreadable emotion. Whatever it is, he's trying his hardest to fight and hide it. "Very well, Ms. Yoo. I'm sorry to have kept you." He turns to Yeong-Gi. His voice turns to ice as he demands, "Ensure Ms. Yoo's safe return to the Park's residence." Not waiting for an answer, Kousuke just turns and heads back to his office.

I wait until I see the elevator engulf Kousuke from my sight before I turn to Yeong-Gi. I'm torn between thanking him or chastising him. But before I can get a word out, he takes my hand.

"C'mon. Let's go get that food for your dad." He says with a sad smile.

"Wait, what?" I dig in my heels and resist. Or at least I try to – Yeong-Gi is very strong. His calloused hand holds mine in a firm but gentle grip. And I don't pull away. 

Dang it Shin-ae! What is it with you and hands??

"I don't know what happened with you and Kousuke." Yeong-Gi's voice pulls me out of my self-chastising.  "But I do know you and food will make you feel better. Besides, after everything that has happened, I'm sure your father will like the early visit."

Ok, he makes a fair point. But Maya's harsh words come back and haunt me.

You're a coward... Look what your choices have brought us...How is that not a burden to us?

I don't want to be burden anymore. I have to decline his offer. "It's ok," I pull my hand away from his. "I still have time to catch the bus." An excuse quickly comes to mind. "Maya's mom might be worried about me if I'm not back soon."

His smile changes to an understanding one. "Yea, ok. Sure." He turns to garage exit but looks back at me. "If you change your mind, you have my number. Let me know if you need anything." And then he leaves without another word.

My triumph is tainted with a strange feeling of disappointment. But why? He's doing what he promised – he's keeping things at the minimum*.   I mean, I did tell him he came on too strong with his friendship thing; so I guess I have no right to be disappointed. Knowing this, I shove my strange feelings aside and head to the bus stop. 

You get what you asked for, Shin-ae.

But before I can sit down at the bus stop, some random screams "There she is!" I turn to the voice and saw a group of people charging at me. What the f*ck is going on?  And why are there cameras??

*NOTE: "keeping things at the minimum" was Yeong-Gi's promise to Shin-ae in Episode 44 of Quimchee's "I LOVE YOO" on Webtoons.