Chapter 104

**** KOUSUKE's memory flashes back to 5 years ago CONTINUED...*****

PLACE: Ireland

Kousuke's age: 16

I could do nothing but stare after her as she tried to find a full liquor bottle. What happened to you? 

I struggled to reconcile this...this...lost woman with the vibrant, continuously happy Nola. The one who helped me learn about trust. This was not the same woman who continued showing me warmth after I learned of her son's true identity.  The one who...

...who is currently rummaging around to find another source of alcohol as if her life depends on it.

This cannot continue.  I needed to snap her out of it. So, I lied. "Ms. Nola, it's about Noland."  It was the only thing I knew would get her attention.

Her head immediately snapped up to meet my gaze. "Nol? What happened? Is he ok?"

"He's fine, Ms. Nola" I reassured her. "I believe he went to visit Mother. He - "

"No no no no no no no!" she repeated. "I need to get him! He's not safe!" she scrambled to put her shoes on and obtain her car keys.

"Ms. Nola!" I raised my voice. I normally don't do that. She's my elder! But I panic rose within me as I realized my attempts to speak with her were going all wrong.  All I knew was this: I had to stop her before she gets behind a wheel.  "Ms. Nola! You are in no condition to drive!"

"I'm a mother!" she yelled back as she headed towards her car. "My son needs me and that is all the condition I need to drive!"

I rushed after her. "Ms. Nola! Stop!" But it was too late. She was already in the car and turning on the ignition when I reached her. "Please Nola!" I begged. But she didn't hear me (or maybe she chose not to) as she quickly sped down the street.

A wave of helplessness washed over me. Think Kousuke, Think! I pulled out my phone as fast as I could and called the driver to me.

The driver showed up not 5 minutes after Nola left. "Where to sir?" he asks as I jump in.

"Quickly! Follow Nola's car!" I yelled, pointing to the direction I saw her drive last.

Thankfully the driver did as he was told.

****PRESENT DAY****

KOUSUKE

 Only, now, I wish the driver didn't do as commanded that day. My eyes quickly open, stopping the memory.  Even now, sitting at my desk, I can't help the guilt trying to invade.  If it weren't for me getting involved and trying to be a hero, Nola would still be alive. She would be here and know how to handle Noland. She would...

I quickly banish that line of thinking. This does me no good, I remind myself. The past is the past. She's dead. Gone. And there's no going back. I must focus on the present. 

My talk with Father enlightened me. Father might be many things, but a liar he is not. And he was certainly right about Nol. He's just like his mother. Putting himself, unnecessarily, at risk. His behavior makes me all the more grateful I struck that deal with Nol. Hopefully by the end of the year (and of our deal), Nol will less reckless when it comes to Shin-ae.

SHIN-AE

I try to grin and bear it for Dad, but he knows my tells. "What's bothering you Shin-ae?" he asks.

"Nothing," I quickly answer. Hopefully it wasn't too quick that he suspects something...was it?

"Shin-ae." Dad's voice is filled with warning.

Sighing, I relented. I may not have Maya to rely on anymore, but I know I can trust my dad. Especially with his drinking back in control. After all, it's been him and me against the world.

"I-it's really nothing, Dad." Swallowing the lump in my throat, I continue. "Maya and I... we... we're going through some things."

The look at Dad's face as he asks, "...Do...do you want to talk about it?" Pffft! Omg...Dad is trying so hard to not look uncomfortable right now, it's absolutely comical.

"I'm fine, Dad. Really."  His expression says he doesn't believe me. "OKAY...I will be fine. I promise. Especially when you can come home."

At the mention of home, Dad's face softens. Then it hardens with resolve. "We'll be home soon. Once we capture that stalker pretending to be your sister."

I internally groan. I know I promised him I would be more open, but I need to do this one thing on my own: I need to know if my stalker is truly who she claims to be. That's why I don't tell Dad that I'm meeting her later today at the k-mall. If he knew, he'd not only get an ulcer, but he might risk my chances of knowing if my stalker is (in fact) my sister.

My phone dings with text notification.

UNKNOWN NUMBER: I'll be at the k-mall in 30 minutes. You'll understand the truth about me soon.

It's her. It has to be.