Chapter 96

KOUSUKE:

She lied to me.

But as quickly as my disappointment rises, a new idea begins to form.

I can use this.

Our deal was for Shin-ae to prove herself as an employee. I can use this to build a case that proves she's untrustworthy, a liar, and... my eyes close as a memory begins to take over.

**********Kousuke's memory flashes back to 16 years ago************

PLACE: South Korea

Kousuke's age: 5

"You're not my friend!" I cry. Why is she still being nice to me? I wonder.

Father's assistant just smiles at my outburst. "Kousuke," she kindly says my name. And why does she call me by name? Mother hardly ever does. She just calls me Son. "Don't you want me to be your friend?" Father's Assistant asks.

"N-No," I answer. Now I start to wonder and waiver. Do I want her to become my friend?

"Oh?" she asks. I nod. Father says if I make a decision, I must see it through. And I want Father proud. I guess Father's Assistant came to some idea, because a smile spreads across her face as she asks me another question.

Weird lady.

"What if I earned your trust, young Kousuke?" she asks, the smile still on her face.

Ehh?? An elder earning my trust? What is she talking about?

"But..." I trail off. Quick! What would Father do? That's right! I remember! Father always says to begin with facts! So, I remind Father's Assistant, "But you're my elder," in my best grown-up voice. "Why in the world would you want to gain my trust?"

And still, she smiles? Does she think I'm being funny? I'm serious!

"Aye, Kousuke. I am your elder," she admits in her funny accent before kneeling across from me. Why is she doing this? Now we're almost at eye level! And her red hair is starting to come out of her bun in doing so. But still she smiles, and continues, "Yet, trust must still be earned...even from an elder."

Now I'm really confused! "But, why would want to earn MY trust?" I demand. "I lied to you!"

"Aye, Kousuke. You lied. But did you do it out of anger?" she asks. I shake my head no. "What about revenge? Did you do it hurt someone?" she asks again. Again, I shake my head no. "If you did nae do it for those things, why did you lie?"

"B-Because..." I stammer. "Because I was s-scared."

And still she smiles. "And that, my dear Kousuke, makes all the difference in the world. We all do things we're nae proud of when we're scared. So, that is why I forgive ya."

"You forgive me because I was scared?"

"Och, no. You have every right to be scared. To have feelings. Everyone does. It does nae make ya less of a man to have them. It's what you DO with them that matters. Your actions. That is what I'm forgiving ya for."

Father's Assistant gave me a lot to think about.

"Father's Assistant?" I call out to her.

"Aye?"

"Can ...I earn your trust?" I ask.

"Of course, you can boyo," she replies. "And you don't have to call me by me title."

"I – I don't? Then what do I call you?"

"My name is Fionnoula." What the...what kind of name is that??? I wonder. Smiley lady only chuckles. "It's an old Irish name but you can call me, Nola."

*****************PRESENT DAY*********************

KOUSUKE:

My eyes open to the present, only to witness the destress in Shin-ae's eyes. I internally groan, but reached a decision. One that I will follow through.