Chapter 102

YEONG-GI (aka: Nol)

Is Shin-ae texting this late? I text back: "You ok? What happened?"

A minute pass by. Nothing, not even a typing bubble. I wait another minute. Still nothing. Then another. And then another. I continue to wait until my eyes close from exhaustion.

DING DING DING DING DING!

The insistent ringing from my alarm startles me awake.  Good, a dreamless sleep. What time is it? I look at the time: 7am. Shit. I need to start my routine.  I can't let those dreams return.  After completing Sensei Aasim's workout and meditation, I quickly shower so I can get a bite to eat. I just finished changing into my street clothes when my phone starts to ring.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Yeong-Gi?" replies Shin-nae's voice. I'm so shocked to hear from her this morning (well, at all really) that I stare at my phone to check if it's really her calling.

"Shin-ae? What's going on? You ok?"

"Yes...no. I don't know. I...I think I made a mistake calling you like this."

"Where are you now?"

"I'm at the hospital with my dad. Same one you dropped me off last time."

"Alright..." I trail off.  Trying to guess what she needs, I ask, "Do you need to get something to eat?"  She's probably sick of  all the hospital food.

"No, it's ok. Never mind me. I don't even know why I called. Like I said it was - "

"A mistake. Yea, I got that. But I'm not buying it," I reply.  Hearing her sniffle confirmed my suspicions.  So, I inform her, "I'll be there in 20 minutes depending on the traffic. I'll call you back when I'm there, and once I get you and your dad something to eat, you can tell me what's bothering you."

"Wait! Yeong-Gi...!" I don't hear the rest of her statement as I quickly end the call. I'm about to exit my room when I suddenly remember an awful truth: I promised Kousuke that I'd stay away from Shin-ae. Frustration swells within me and I bang in the door frame.  

Dammit Kousuke, ya bloody wanker!

I guess Nana heard me taking out my anger on the door frame, because she rushes out of the kitchen. "Tiger? What's going on?"

"Nothing, Nana. Just...a friend needs my help but its in conflict to a promise I made to Kousuke."

"Hm. What's is going on between ya two, now?" Nana asks.

A lot, I want to reply. But I don't. I simply tell her, "The usual."

"Ah-huh," Nana mutters, not convinced. "Well, I'll just finish making breakfast. Ya tell your friend and their da that food will be ready for 'em if they decide to come over. Especially if something is bothering them."

My brows raise in surprise. "How much did you over hear?"

Nana grins. "I may be old, boyo, but me ears work perfectly well." I just stare at her until she chuckles and admits, "I heard the whole thing."

"Nana..." I start, "I don't think bringing her or her dad over will be a good idea."

Her brows crease in confusion. Bringing her hands to her hips, she asks, "And why the bloody hell not? Ya ashamed of me, Tiger?"

What the heck?? "NO! No, of course not Nana!" How could she even think that?

"Then why don't you bring the poor wee lass over, hm?"

"Because...because..." I don't want to lie to Nana, but I try to think of an excuse that can still straddle over the truth. But I'm coming up with a blank! And just by looking at Nana's demeanor, I know she will not let this rest until I bring Shin-ae over. Seeing her look this fearsome, I sigh in defeat. I can't hide anything from her when she gets like this. So, I tell her the truth. "Because, I promised Kousuke that I'd keep my distance from Shin-ae. And I can't keep that promise if I bring her over to where I live."

Surprisingly (honestly, why am I surprised?), she just grins. "Och, boyo. Why didnae just say so! Ya leave everything up to me."

 I feel my eyes widen.  Oh no.   What have I unleashed?

KOUSUKE

"It's the weekend, dear! Why are in the office?" asks Mother over the phone.

"Mother, I have work to ensure is prepared for the following week. What is this really about?" I tire of her games.

"Son, I don't know why you are so cold with me! I just want to talk to my child. It's like you've been avoiding me."

"Hm," my grunt serves as my reply. Of course, I am avoiding her.  While I'm normally used to Mothers' eccentric schemes, I don't think I can get over this one.  Not only did she risk the company's image (and, god forbid, a lawsuit), but she willingly put Shin-ae in danger.  And I didn't see it coming.

Mother's reply becomes muddled when I noticed Father coming in and heading to his office, however. Whatever she's saying, I simply inform her with, "Mother, I have to go" and hang up.

Tempted to rush out of my office and call after him, I school my gait and features to be the epitome of professionalism and sophistication.   I do, however, hasten my stride to follow him. He and I have much to discuss.  Especially about Shin-ae.