Chapter 125

YEONG-GI

**Earlier**

As I walk across the lobby, I hear my name being shouted. "Yeong-Gi!"

I close my eyes. I know that voice. I've been told to keep my distance from its owner. I stop and turn to face her.

I'm taken aback by the panic I see in her face. "Please Yeong-Gi," Shin-ae begs. "I have no time to explain, I need to avoid Kousuke for tonight."

"Ms. Yoo!" Kousuke's voice sounds a little louder. I look behind her and see him coming closer. I look between him and her. The desperation and hurt in her face compels my head to nod in agreement.

Kousuke stands right behind Shini-ae now, looking stern and some emotion I can't identify.  Maybe constipated? "Ms. Yoo," Kousuke says firmly.  

Shin-ae closes her eyes and does something I have never seen her do: she visibly plasters a smile on her face and hide her hurt from her gaze.

 What has Kousuke done to her?

"Oh hey Kousuke!" She chirps. Freaking chirps. Since when does Shin-ae chirp like that? It's probably those etiquette classes Kousuke is making her do. "Everything ok in the office?" She asks innocently.

"The office work is satisfactory Ms. Yoo." He replies. "However, I tried to call you and you failed to respond." He crosses his arms. "Do you not recall our agreement this afternoon?"

"Oh yea! I forgot to tell you, um...you see, I uh..." She stutters, struggling to come up with some half-truth that's polite and respectable like her class has probably taught her. Good. That means the old Shin-ae is still in there.

So, I interject. "It's my fault." Both Kousuke and Shin-ae look at me with confusion evident in both their faces. "Shin-ae wanted to get some fast food for her dad before she heads back to Maya's house," I announce. "As you know, brother, Shin-ae has a stalker and I thought it'd be safer if I took her." Shin-ae isn't the only one who took Kousuke's mandatory business etiquette classes. For better or worse, I can come up with polite half-truths pretty quick when necessary.  Saving Shin-ae from Kousuke - it seems pretty necessary to me. 

Kousuke grunts. "Hm. I see." He turns to Shin-ae. "Ms. Yoo, we do have much to discuss, unfortunately."

"Can't it wait until Monday?" she pleas. "It's going to be 10pm and my father would be worried if he doesn't hear from me."

A muscle in Kousuke's jaw clicks in some unknown emotion. Whatever it is, he's trying his hardest to fight and hide it. "Very well, Ms. Yoo. I'm sorry to have kept you." He turns to me and demands, "Ensure Ms. Yoo's safe return to the Park's residence." Not waiting for an answer, Kousuke just turns and heads back to his office.

Shin-ae and I wait until we see the elevator engulf Kousuke from our sight before she turns to me. I know she wants to say something about my lie, but before I let her get a word out, I take her hand.

"C'mon. Let's go get that food for your dad." I say with a sad smile.

"Wait, what?" Shin-ae digs in her heels and resists. Or at least she tries to – Shin-ae is so small, it's adorable.

Tone it down, Yeong-Gi! You have a girlfriend and you promised Shin-ae not to overwhelm her!

I face Shin-ae and tell her, "I don't know what happened with you and Kousuke. But I do know you and food will make you feel better. Besides, after everything that has happened, I'm sure your father will like the early visit." At my suggestion, a ghost of a smile dances on her face.

But just when I thought I had her, something sad washed that possibility away. "It's ok," she says dully, pulling away from my hand.  "I still have time to catch the bus."   That is true enough but why not - "Maya's mom might be worried about me if I'm not back soon."   Her excuse came quick, cutting off my line of thinking.

My smile turns to an understanding one. She probably still thinks she's a burden. Silly girl. But I can't change how people see themselves – they have to want that change first. So, I reply with the only thing I could, "Yea, ok. Sure." Hoping one day she'll see herself differently, I turn to the garage exit. As I walk away, I look back at her. "If you change your mind, you have my number. Let me know if you need anything." And with that, I leave without another word.

Walking to my car, I take out my phone and call Nana. The ringing dial tone sings while I start my car. Nana answers just when I start to pull out of the parking space. I put her on speaker.

"Hello? Tiger?"

"Hey Nana, its me. Do you need anything from the store before I head home?"

"Och, thank ye Tiger! But, oh um...how about some wings? Do ye think the shops are still open?"

I grin at her request. "Wings? Are you sure?"

"Aye! I'm havin' a friend come over. Need some good comfort food, is all."

"Then why not some of your famous shepherd's pie?" I ask, knowing the kind of response she'll give me.

"Och, boyo! Do ye honestly think I'll have time to make a decent one?" I can practically feel her sarcasm drip from the phone. My grin bursts into laughter as she declares, "And do nae dare think to buy those cheap frozen pies! Ye hear me, Tiger? Do nae dare!"

Somehow, I manage a reply between bouts of laughter. "Aye, Nana. I promise." I love teasing her. She's so easy to have fun with, and her fits when it comes to proper heritage representation is priceless.

She humphs at my laughing reply. "Good. Call me when ye near, Tiger."

"Will do, Nana."

I wonder who her friend is.