Chapter 131: Between Crosshairs (Part 2)

YEONG-GI:

I stop Kousuke with a raised finger. "I need to think," I tell him. "And you're coming with me." Opening the passenger side, I can hear Kousuke practically sputter.

Older brother practically throws the door open, "What on earth are you talking about? Don't tell me you're that incompetent as to lack the capability to think on your own?"

I stomp up to him until I'm looking down at his cold blue eyes. "Looks to me you lack the capability to solve this mystery on your own. I know you, brother, and you wouldn't come to me - to Nana's house no less - if you weren't desperate. So, unless you're volunteering as tribute to be my literal punching bag, you're coming with me.  Working out clears my head."

After a few beats, Kousuke finally folds. "Tch. Fine.  Just remember, Nol.  It would be in your best interest to end your empty threats.  Words always have consequences." He shoves past me and walks across the street to Nana's house. "Let's go."  I roll my eyes and tilt my head back. 

The stars above me continue to shine, as if the face-off with my brother was of little consequence.  Yet, their constant stillness reminds me of my mother.  What would she say if she saw us now?

Mam, what in the bloody hell did you see in him?

I trail behind Kousuke, but my mind starts running with unanswered questions. First, Father calls and refused to elaborate what the reporters want with Shin-ae. Now Kousuke comes across town to – what?  What does Kousuke hope to accomplish here?  He knows something I don't. So does Father.

Normally, I don't bother with the political side of the Hirahara business. Before, all I had to do was keep my head down, go to boring functions, and they'd leave me alone. That was the agreement.

**** YEONG-GI'S MEMORY***

Ireland: 5 years ago

Yeong-Gi's age: 14

One fight, I promised myself. Just one fight. But then I won that fight. And one fight become two. Then three. The more I fought for the Kinahan, I started to spend less and less time in Sensei's dojo. I didn't want to see the disappointment in his face.

Now I'm in Sensei's car driving to...the police station?? Is my Sensei going to arrest me? I turned to him from the passenger seat, panic struck my body frozen.

"Don't worry," Sensei said as he parked. "There's someone here I want you to meet."

I follow him out of the car and follow him...past the police station? Ok, what in the bloody hell is going on?

Just when I'm about to say something, Sensei walked to the A&E and held the door open for me. I said nothing as I brush past him and into the lobby. Sensei all but ignores me until he comes back from the A&E reception. "This way," is all he says to me.

I couldn't take the silence anymore. "What am I doing here, Sensei?"

We walked into a private suite and Sensei closed the door. A sad lady looks from the lump on the bed to me and Sensei.

"Officer Aasim," she greeted as she wiped the tears from her face. "Did you find out who did this?"

Sensei nodded, "I have a lead." He turned to me. "Nol, do you recognize the boy in the bed?"

I shook my head. His face was bloodied. Someone tagged him good.

But my answer seemed to have disappointed Sensei. He sighed as he took out a photo and handed it to me. "How about now?"

I took the photo and the boy in the photograph made my stomach sink and my hands shake.

RING RIIIING went someone's mobile. The shrill startled me out of my guilt induced stupor. The sad lady pulled out her phone and frowned. "It's my husband's business partner. I have to take this. Let me know if anything changes, would you?"

Sensei nodded once more. "Yes ma'am."

Once the lady left the room, I focused on Sensei. I couldn't look at the boy. I couldn't. "Did...did I..." I couldn't even bring myself to say it.

"Yes, Nol. You did this." He took my shoulders and turned me so I faced the boy I bloodied. "I trained you to protect yourself and to see your body as a temple. Not as a weapon." His supporting hands dropped from my shoulders. And I never felt so alone.

But it seems Sensei isn't done. "Seems you have a choice, Nol. You can either continue fighting for the Kirahan and let," he points to the unconscious kid in the bed, " your anger - this destruction - be your legacy. Your mum's legacy. Or...you can fix this."

"How?" I asked, brokenly.

"Start by asking for his name."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "What's his name?"

"Soushi."

Sensei and I walked out of the A&E in silence. This time I was ok with it. It allowed me to think on how to make it up to Soushi. How to get out of the Kirahan's radar. I was so engrossed in all the ways I could redeem myself that I didn't notice the car riding next to us. Not until it was too late.

"Nol!!" Sensei yelled. He grabbed me by the scruff of my neck, shoved me to the ground, and threw his body on top of me. The BANG BANG BANG of gunfire echoed in my hears so load - it was all I could hear. Just as quickly as it began, it stopped. Tires squealed away; people  continued to screamed; and I was shielded by my old Sensei.  His body a dead weight on top of mine. 

Different fun words 

A&E = emergency room in the United Kingdom

Mam/mum = mother