Chapter 127

SHIN-AE:

"It'll be alright Shin-ae. We'll talk more tomorrow."

I nod as my fingers roll from my face to rake through my hair. I take a deep breath. "Yeah, ok." I try for grin.

Seemingly satisfied, Rika finally walks away... And I slump in the sofa.

"Are ya ok, lass?"

I quickly straighten and paste a smile on my face. "Oh, uh, yes of course, Mrs. Lochlainn."

She comes closer with a tray of cups and tea kettle, and places it on the coffee table. "Ya ken, my daughter Nola would always try to tell me she was fine. Pasted a smile o' her own, as if that would fool her Ma. So, I would take her hands," she says as she takes my hands from my lap. "And look her in the eye." Mrs. Lochlainn looks me in eyes as she continues. "And then I'd say to her, 'Och, ya are nae just fine. Ya are a strong lass. And when ever ya need to scream or shout or cry, know ya are allowed to do so. There be no shame in having feelings.' And after that, I'd squeeze me Nola's hands to emphasize me message." After her little story, she gently squeezed both of mine.

Tears start to sting my eyes from the effort of holding them in. I pull my hands away and wrap my arms around myself, trying to hold myself together. Looking away, I choke out, "Where is your restroom?"

"Down the hall, first door on ya right." I don't look in her direction as I follow her instructions. But I paused at the threshold of the bathroom when she says, "I'll leave ya some clothes to change into for the night. They're my grandson's, so I hope ya donnae mind."

Unsure if I can stay strong a moment longer, I keep my back to her as I answer, "Thank you Mrs. Lochlainn. I appreciate it. Please excuse me, I need to use the restroom." And with that, I quickly make my escape to this old lady's restroom.

With my back against the door, I sink until I feel the unforgiving floor and pull my knees into my chest. Ugh...what am I doing? I think as I wrap my arms around my bent knees. But before my brain takes me to pity-town – the distinct shrill of a landline ringing, followed by voices from the other room, distract me.

"Hello? Tiger?" Is that...is that Mrs. Lochlainn? I mentally reprimand myself, Duh Shin-ae. This is her house – of course it's her.

But then...who is she talking to on the other end?

"Och, thank ye Tiger!" she exclaims. "But, oh um...how about some wings? Do ye think the shops are still open?"

Did...did she just say wings? My mouth begins to water and my stomach starts to make itself known. Have to say - at least Mrs. Lochlainn has good taste in food.

While my stomach is focused on the promise of food, my food deliverer continues. "Aye! I'm havin' a friend come over. Need some good comfort food, is all."

A friend? Doubt, a familiar friend, starts to crawl inside.

Did...did I come at wrong time?

Now, I lean against the door, straining to hear. If she says to her mystery caller that I'm imposing on her, then I'll simply thank her for her hospitality and figure something else out.

My mind creates various exit strategies as I hear a distinctly sarcastic tone. "Och, boyo! Do ye honestly think I'll have time to make a decent one?"

What on earth is she talking about?

Whatever the mystery caller said, it made her declare, "And do nae dare think to buy those cheap frozen pies! Ye hear me, Tiger? Do nae dare!"

He/she/its answer earned a "humph" from Mrs. Lochlainn, followed by a kind and firm reply. "Good. Call me when ye near, Tiger."

Hm, I hope this "Tiger" person doesn't mind me being here. Hopefully, I think, Tiger takes after Mrs. Lochlainn.

I get up from my spot on the floor, quickly splash cold water on my face, and open the bathroom door. A pile of folded clothes on the other side of the threshold make me pause. I pick up the clothes and place them on the bathroom's vanity. The first item on top, I discover, is a shirt. A really, really, REALLY big shirt. I hold the shirt against my frame.

Who the heck does this belong to?? Big foot? The hem of the shirt lands past my knees. How can someone so large be related to Mrs. Lochlainn? She's so small!

With a sigh, I place the shirt back on the counter and start to take off the uncomfortable work attire. I guess beggars can't be choosers, I think to myself. As I slide the shirt over my head, its owner's scent drifts into my senses.

Wait, I know this scent!

I bring the shirt closer to my nose and take big whiff.

Why do I know this scent?

I finish putting on the shirt and stare at the gym shorts on the counter with dread. There is no way on this green earth that I'll be able to fit into those. I don't even need to try them on.

While I'm staring down the monstrous shorts, I hear Mrs. Lochlainn's excited voice. "Och, so happy ya here Tiger! Put those wings on the table, and have a seat".

I guess hiding the bathroom is over. It's time to meet the famous "Tiger." If this person is anything like Mrs. Lochlainn, I'm sure they'll won't kick me out. Right? I open the door, cross the threshold, and make my way down the hall.