Chapter 107

KOUSUKE

What. Is. Going. ON?

Mr. Yoo looks confused. "Weren't you there too, Mr. Hirahara? One of the three boys that protected my daughter from her stalker and intruder?"

To ensure my whitened knuckles don't give away my emotions, I clench my hands behind my back. "I apologize Mr. Yoo.  I was not. I have no idea to what you are referring." I turn to my gaze to little brother and order, "Clarify this, Yeong-Gi."

Nol just raises his brow at me before he turns to Mr. Yoo.  "After Shin-ae hung out with my friend Dieter, she came home to an intruder. I don't know what she did, but somehow she locked the 'em in the bathroom and called Dieter for help.  I think it's because he knows martial arts.  Anyway, our other friend, Soushi, and I gave him a ride; but I guess the three of us scared her off." Then Nol has the audacity to grin and ask, "Didn't she tell you, Mr. Hirahara? I mean, you are her boss."

My fists ache behind my back with the force of my grip. Control. Control. I take a deep breath. "No. She didn't tell me."

"Huh. Imagine that," Nol smugly replies. Little brother is lucky I was raised with civility.

Mr. Yoo, however, warmly addresses Nol. "Well, as a father, I want to thank you for protecting my baby girl." But then that warmth drops 50 degrees as he adds, "And as a father, I must warn you: stay away from her. She doesn't need a boy to distract her." Despite his tone, his scowl reminds me much of his daughter when she's agitated. For a reason I refuse to acknowledge, this silly fact almost makes me grin. Almost.

Thankfully, Nol has the decency so look chastised. With his hands lifted in surrender, he reassures Mr. Yoo. "I'm just a friend, sir. I actually have girlfriend."

Mr. Yoo just humphs in response. "See that it stays that way." Then he turns his non-trusting gaze to me. "And you?" he asks me.  "I don't care if you're her boss. Do I have to worry about you, too?

I shake my head. "No Mr. Yoo."

Another humph. "Good."

"If I may ask, Mr. Yoo," I begin. "Do you know where I – we – can find your daughter?"

"She's not here. She went to the k-mall to meet a friend almost an hour ago. But she'll be back by dinner if you want to join us. I can have something ordered here, if you don't care for the hospital food." He says that last part with a semi grin. At least he no longer seems murderous.

I respectfully decline his offer saying, "No thank you, Mr. Yoo. We have already taken up your time as it is. I will not impose any more of it, since Ms. Yoo dedicated her Sundays for you."

Mr. Yoo's eyes start to mist at this admission. They must be really close. I wonder what that is like – to have a parent-child relationship like theirs.

Wordlessly, I bow, turn, take my leave out of his room. Nol hastens behind me. Without turning back to face him, I ask him, "Now, do you see how unnecessary your concern is for her? She's with her friend. Whoever she, or he, is."

Glancing over my shoulder, I see a dejected Nol nod. "Maybe," he admits. However, almost reluctantly, he adds, "Thank you for coming anyways. I know you rather be in the office, working."

"Hm," is all I respond.

SHIN-AE

Sitting in the Sunbucks café, I wait for her. I felt like a video game character, scanning and trying to find my target. Even though I wasn't able to get a good look at her face, I can clearly picture the color of her hair. So hopefully, I don't look like a total creep that's checking out random people.

"Shin-ae," someone calls. I turn and see a girl around my age...with my colored eyes. I feel paralyzed in my seat.

However, I somehow summon an ounce of courage. I have to test her. So, I ask "Are those contacts?"

Her smile pulls to the side in a slight grin. "No actually. My eyes are naturally red. Less than 1% of people in the world have it."

"Let me see."

As if this was a normal thing to do, my intruder/stalker/maybe-older-sister bends down to my level and allows me to check her eyes.

This day could not get any weirder.

I lean in closer and evaluate her eyes, expecting to see contacts. My own eyes widen.

NO. It can't be! But she...I...that's impossible!

Sensing my shock, the girl straightens and smiles. "See? I told you." Seemingly satisfied with herself, she sat down next to me.

So many emotions and questions race through my head. How is she doing? How's mom? Why haven't you seen dad yet? How did she pay our bills? Why couldn't she contact me like a normal person? And like a mind reader (or maybe she could by my stupefied face), older sister says, "You must have a lot of questions for me."

I nod. Yeah, no shit Sherlock. But I will only ask one...for now. "Why now?" Confused, her head tilts the side. So, I clarify. "I mean, you knew my schedule for months. If you wanted to see me, like you claimed, why didn't you reach to me sooner?"