Chapter 103

KOUSUKE

Though Father doesn't look up, he does acknowledge my presence. "Son?" he asks.

"Father," I begin. "Everything in my department is up to date and ready for next week." Next week is when the reporters will arrive. Hopefully little brother will, for once, stay out of trouble and prove his worth to the company and the family name.

"Hm," Father replies, still not looking up. After about a minute, he finally asks, "Is there something else, son?"

"Yes, it's about Ms. Yoo."

"What about her?"

All I need is his confirmation. "Since she is a friend of Nol's and was present at the company party, might I suggest that she provide a formal statement vouching for Nol's finer characteristics. " If he denies this pragmatic statement, then I think I know what he doing.

Father finally looks up at me. "Did Nol send you?"

Curious. Why would he think this? "No" I answer. "Why would he?"

"Hm. I figured as much," Father replies. "I was hoping the boy would see reason. I already suggested this opportunity to your brother, for insurance.  But he refused."

Shocked, I ask, "Why would he - "

"Because he's just like her!" Father roars; his fist bangs against his desk. I'm about to take a step back, but remember to maintain my cool composure. I know of whom he speaks. Hoping that I can obtain a better understanding of what is occurring and how this involves Shin-ae, I stay silent and allow Father to continue his tirade. "Your brother refuses to see reason!" He adjusts his tie as he coldly admits, "However, I already set things in motion regarding Ms. Yoo's testimony. There will be no need for concern."

Clenching my fists behind my back, I reply with, "Of course Father. It was merely a suggestion."

"If that is all...?"

"It is," I reply. I turn out of his office and walk toward my own.

I sit in my office chair with a sigh. Nol, why do you have to be so much like her? I wonder. Leaning my head with my eyes closed, memories once banished start to return. Memories that are better left buried.

**** KOUSUKE's memory flashes back to 5 years ago*****

PLACE: Ireland

Kousuke's age: 16

"Sir, we have arrived," the driver informs me. I looked outside and take note of the quaint little house Nola lives. It's small. How can a person so lively live here? I wondered.

"I should be done in about 30 minutes. Drive around until I call for you."

"Certainly sir," the Irish driver replies as I exited the vehicle.

You can do this, Kousuke. It's just Nola. She's been off and you're just checking in as a concerned employer.

I continued to tell myself this as I made my way to the front door. When no one answered upon my initial knock, I knocked again. Again, I received no answer. So, I mentally repeat to myself: You can do this, Kousuke. It's just Nola. She's been off and you're just checking in. I'm about to knock a third time, when the door violently lurched open.

"Oi! I heard ya! Whatcha want, hm?" asked a clearly drunk lady. This can't be Nola. I must have the wrong house.

"I'm apologize. I believe I'm at the wrong residence. I'm in search for a Ms. Fionnoula Lochlainn. Do you know where - "

"Yea? What do you want with me?" the intoxicated lady rudely asks.

"M-Ms. Lochlainn...?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yea??" she asked impatiently.

"It's me, Ms. Nola. It's Kousuke."

She examines me from head to toe. Then she yelled, "Ya cannae be my Kousuke!"

She must have drunk herself blind. I chose to ignore her statement.  She needs help, I tell myself, that is why you are here.  To help her.  "Ms. Nola, I assure you: that I am Kousuke. Let's go inside." I try to usher her back inside. "I'll make you my mother's famous black tea." We make it to the kitchen when she violently wrenches away from my guidance.

"NO!! No black tea!" Nola hysterically shouts.

I raise my hands in sign of surrender. "Alright. No black tea." I have to get her to calm down. If she doesn't, then how can I talk to her about her meds?  About coming back to work?

I try again. "Ms. Nola, are you feeling alright?"

She groans in response. "I...I..." she struggles. Whatever she wanted to say, it looked like she thought better of it and changed her mind.  What was she about to tell me?  Combing her shaking hands through her hair, she looks around the kitchen. "I need a drink."

I could do nothing but stare after her as she tried to find a full liquor bottle. What happened to you?

KOUSUKE'S MEMORY WILL BE CONTINUED...