Part 15

Meghan Polinsky's POV.
Day 5, afternoon

Ever since yesterday, I didn't let go of Lucas. I wasn't ready to. He didn't seem to mind either as he held on as well. Everyone was sleeping on and off. We spent the night bobbing up and down from the awful storm. After 10 times you get used to the feeling of your stomach dropping.

We lost too much energy trying to survive a storm that we had nothing left. No energy to catch food. No energy to do anything. I can't remember the last time I peed or ate food.

I laid in between Lucas's legs and he casually rested his arms around me. I laid my head back on this shoulder and closed my eyes. Lucas was asleep and so was everyone else.

I haven't heard a voice in more than 18 hours and felt so loved yet so lonely for the first time in my life.

My throat was dry and everything we managed to collect over the time was gone. No water bottle. bait or bones. Or survival guide.

I lifted my arm up and held it in front of my face. I lifted my other hand and wrapped it around my forearm. My hand went around it completely until I could touch my fingernails. Skin and bone. I was just skin and bone. I needed food badly.

This was a bad cycle to repeat, let alone have.

No food, no muscle, no muscle, no strength, no strength, no survival ability, no survival ability, no water, no water, no life.

We were doomed. I know we had hoped at the start. But we were doomed.

Still leaning against Lucas I slowly lifted my hand up, I had no idea why I was doing that but I stopped short when I felt the soaked bandage we put on his head days ago, from the gash he had on his head.

But we were all dry now? Why was it the only thing wet? "Lucas?" I questioned and slowly turned around. I faced him and his eyes were shut.

I lifted my hand to the bandage and felt it still damp. His cut must have been torn open from the past events. Looks like it was infected too.

"Lucas," I said again taking his head into my hands. "Hmm?" Was his only response.

"Your head. Let me fix it." I said. I slowly lifted my hand up to the red bandage that was once a crisp white. Before I could touch it he grabbed my wrist and stopped my movements.

"Don't. Meghan don't waste your energy on me." He said closing his eyes again.

"I can't just let you sit here and bleed to death," I stated matter of factly. Lucas's blue eyes met mine and I felt my body still.

"We don't have anything to replace it with, the bandage I mean." He said letting go of my wrist and dropping his hand to my leg. I looked down were his hand was on my leg. We were all too delusional to know what we were doing but Lucas had no idea what he just did.

He gave me an idea. Without thinking I grabbed the bottom hem of my romper and tore it into a long sleeve. The rip went up to my underwear line and completely around my thigh. Upon hearing the material rip, Lucas shot his eyes open, sat up and stared down at me. We both were confused about my actions and I had no idea I had that strength.

"Why...?" Lucas said in disbelief. "Just relax and let me care for you," I said going back up to his head before he could protest.

I carefully untied the knot and pulled it off revealing his bloody wound. "Oh, Lucas." I sighed looking at it and practically feeling his pain.

He kept his eyes trained on me as I tended to him. Cleaning off the access blood and holding the fresh material there for a while until the bleeding stopped. I wrapped the navy blue bandage around his head. "I bet the change in material feels good," I said.