Part 43

Edmond Bailey's POV.
Day 26, Dusk

My eyes shoot open with a burn. I took to long and my mouth drags open for an inhale and I don't get oxygen. Water floods my system and I jerk my body up only to violently be held down by the rocks. I scream only for bubbles to reach the surface and not me.

My trembling hands quickly fumble to push the rocks off. My vision is getting spotty and I can feel a pulse all over my body.

I push the last rock off and push up to the light on shaking legs. I reach the top and go to inhale air but choke on all the water in my lungs. I throw myself over the edge and begin coughing.

I throw up water and some blood, but it leaves me with only fire in my lungs. I jump up onto my trembling feet and start to fall again but I force myself to walk as fast as I could. I limp and before I know it I'm far far away from the river.

I put my hands on my knees. I feel anger course through me. "Just kill me already!! I can't do it!! I CAN'T FUCKING DO IT ANYMORE!!" I scream to the sky.

I fall to the ground completely unable to move. And for the first time in my life. I cry.

I cry for every wrong I've done. For every person I've ever hurt, every person I've never apologized to. For not being a better father to my only daughter for not loving my wife. For not loving her like a husband should. For not caring for the ones around me before they disappeared-if I could change my ways right now I would. I would do anything to right my wrongs.

Just as I think that I hear the very silent sound of gunshots. I sit up and know I'm just crazy. That I'm positively just insane.

But when I hear them once more I'm up to my feet and running in the direction of the noise.

I'm clutching my stomach as I run, my lungs screaming at me to stop but I don't. Something in my mind says to go. Even if stumble upon a murder I could still ask for help. A human anything!

I stop in my tracks when I see something I never thought I'd see ever again.

A house.

My heart fills with a joy I could've never imagined possible. I run up to the front but falter my steps as another loud gunshot leads into the air.

I hear something shatter and run to a window nearby. I look in just as I see Michael run and hide behind a couch. Michael?! I feel the sense that something is off... clearly I mean. Why is he here why are- he looks scared I need to save him.

I waste no time running through the front door. I search around in panic as I move quickly while still clutching my abdomen. It hurts so bad and my lungs are even worse now from running.

I see the kitchen and hear Darcy's voice down a hallway. I look to the ground and see a man laying there clutching his nose as blood slowly pools to the floor. He looks up at me worriedly. "They are in there..." he whispers and points down a hall. I blankly nod and grab the nearest thing by me.

Holding a steel pan I run into the hall and see a black haired woman approaching Darcy and Michael.

I don't care who she is as I reel the pan back and let my strength take over.

BONG

The pan cracks onto her head and she freezes before falling face first forward. I'm glad I did that because I see Darcy with some blood on her and her eyes are swollen and red.

This is my redemption.

I think back to 12 minutes ago. I do get a second chance.

I run to Darcy and hug her. She hesitates before slowly and carefully wrapping her arms around me. My heart beats loudly in my ears as she shakes in my arms.