Part 21

Meghan Polinsky's POV.
Day 15, Midday

"God has his reasons," Edmond replied. For a second I thought god said that but I don't think god would talk in the third person.

"Hey! You're alive! So how was your slumber?" I said jokingly. He just looked at me puzzled. "Yeah why us?" He said repeating my question from before. I frowned at his response.

"So where is Darcy?" He said while moving the leaves and sitting up. His words shocked both of us. He seemed to forget. "Nevermind..." Edmond said quickly and quietly.

This gave me that sad feeling again. I know it was an accident he brought it up but it still hurt. I need to talk before I start crying again. But before I could Edmond spoke.

"I'm at least happy to say we are on land again. Never thought I'd see the day. Hallelujah." Edmond said with a certain tone that made me smile. "Yes. The positive side of this. But we need to talk about a few things. And Edmond we need to be serious about this."

Edmond nodded as a sign for me to continue. "We know Lucas, Darcy, and Michael are gone. Let's not bring it up anymore. We need to accept that... Now, let's get down to business. We need a place to sleep and a fire before sunset. But before that, we need to make sure your safe to walk. How are you feeling by the way?" I asked. "Woah. Meghan, you shouldn't expect us to be moving around like this. Especially me. I'm old and almost died on multiple occasions."

"But Edmond. I almost died too. And we still have to survive." I said crossing my arms.

"Fine. Let's look for—" Edmond said while starting to stand up. He put his hand to his mouth and started to cough up some blood. He clutched his hand over his heart and instantly sat back down.

Maybe I was wrong. Edmond is too old a fragile for this. I think something is wrong too. Medically.

"Edmond, you good?" I asked worriedly.

"Do I look good to you!" He snapped back while laying back down. And he's back.

"Right. Sorry just let me do the work. You need to focus on rest right now." I stood up and fixed his leaves around him. "You need to leave these here so you don't get sunburned or heatstroke," I said. Edmond just nodded in response to my statement.

"I guess I'll look for some food." Standing up, I brushed the sand off my legs and grabbed a palm tree leaf that had fallen off recently. I held it so it blocked the sun and started my trek.

The sand was warm between my toes but I felt anything besides being relaxed.

I continued walking someways before I stopped. I looked at the wet sand next to me and gasped.

Footprints walked their way ahead of me. They definitely were not mine. But whose could they be? As far as I was concerned, Edmond and I are the only ones here. And even if there was someone else here, why would they be? No one would choose to come here for fun. But maybe, just maybe it could be Lucas? No that's crazy I need to turn around and go back before I get too far...

I turned around and didn't give it much thought and ran back.

When I got back Edmond was gone.

I was huffing and out of breath. I looked around but still didn't see him. It started to rain and I burst into action. Sure it was only a sprinkle but I set the bucket where I'd hoped it would get enough water and went under a tree before getting some in my mouth.

But really. Where could Edmond have gone?

•••
Day 15, afternoon

It was getting late and still no sign of Edmond. It rained for a while and I collected a decent amount of water and got a good drink too. My thirst still needed to be quenched but I was at least satisfied.