Part 33

Meghan Polinsky's POV.
Day 25, morning

I wake up to a pounding sound. I wince as I hear heavy footsteps running down the hall. Then I faintly hear Ana's voice. "Get Meghan to answer it... what if it's them?" She says panicked.

Without hesitation, I'm by the door listening. "Meghan came here out of nowhere, it could be another survivor and what would we be if we don't help," Darren says and I nod behind the door in agreement. "If we don't answer the door we will be safe Darren. That's what we will be." Ana shoots back and Darren responds again. "We can't hide forever and you know that. I'm not even to blame here." Darren says angrily before adding. "It's the right thing to do."

"Fine but just get Meghan to do it. If it's the cops, were dead and you know it, they already know what our faces look like."

Before I can jump out from behind the door and run back to the bed to hide the door swings open and connects with my head. If I keep hitting my head so much I'll get a concussion. I jump back and stare wide-eyed at a smiling Darren and a very pissed off Ana.

"Where are you listening to our conversation Meghan?" Ana asks harshly. She used to be so nice. Ever since... Rosa showed up.

"N-no no, I never!" I defend. "I was just about to walk out I swear I heard nothing," I say raising my arms up in defense. Ana is wearing a pink fluffy robe with her arms crossed she is looking at me questionably. But on the other side of the door, Darren was staring at me chuckling. He knew.

I glared at him and then turned back to Ana. "I promise you I wasn't—" I start but get cut off with the pounding of the door once again. Ana's once angered face turns soft and worried. "Meghan, can you get the door please?"

"Suuuure...." I say warily. I glance back at them before turning down the hallway. The pounding becomes excessive. I pick up my speed and my bare feet slap against the cold flooring. Eventually reaching the overly locked door. I hear an oddly familiar whimper from outside the door as the pounding gets more constant. My heart starts to beat faster at the thought of who's out there. My mind keeps chanting the words, Lucas. Please be Lucas.

I get the last lock done and everything happens in slow motion. The door is pushed open and that's when I hear it.

"Help us please!!" Darcy screams. I threw the door open almost throwing it off the hinges. "Darcy!! Michael!!" I yell as I watch their eyes go wide.

There they are. Alive.

"Oh my god! Oh my god!" I sob as I pull their small weak bodies into my arms. The tears are happy tears. "You're alive. I'm so happy your alive!! I tried to look for y-you and—" I start but get cut off by my cries. I feel Darcy's tiny hand pat my head but I still don't let go. Michael's arm is wrapped around my neck and his head is on my shoulder. I swear I saw some tears in his eyes. Darcy was glued onto my small waist, never planning to let go. I pull away carefully and take in their appearance.

Clothes are torn beyond repair.
Body and face caked in old cracked and fresh mud.
Swollen eyes.
Cuts and bruises.
Obviously starved and lack of hydration is obvious.

Was that what I looked like?

I pull them inside my motherly instincts taking over. I bring them to the couch and sit them down. "Ana!! Darren!!" I called running to get water.

I watch as Ana peeks her head into the kitchen. "Who's the kids?" She asks. "Are they from the plane?" She's biting her nails nervously.

"Yes. I know them we need to take care of them. What if we don't have the right supplies oh my what—" I say nervously. Ana interrupts me. "Hey calm down. You looked worse than when you came here. They will be fine we will take care of them." She reassures.