What I Don't Understand

There are several things I notice when I step out into the outside world.

1. It doesn't hurt at all.

2. I feel better than I'd ever been.

3. Whatever that was blowing my hair against my face and tickling my face was wonderful.

Ignoring the fascination of the pure, unfiltered sunlight on my arm, I run towards the flowerbeds. I can't see Jungkook's face, and that makes me run faster, faster.

The man didn't see me yet, but he is about to.

I slam into his back as hard as a girl that weighs 47 kilograms can.

Thankfully, it's enough to make him stumble forwards— nearly tripping over his own feet and sputtering in anger.

Jungkook's eyes flash a deep silver-blue when he sees me, and in a single second his aura goes from submissive to pure dominant.

He's up on his feet so quickly I don't even see his legs move, his eyes practically glowing as he moves between me and the man.

"What are you doing out here." He hisses in the corner of his mouth, frantic and angry at the same time. "Go back inside, Elle. Now."

When the man looks to see that Jungkook has gotten up on his feet and worse, that whoever had made him stumble like a fool had been a girl, he didn't look happy at all.

"You," Jungkook growls, the air shifting with electricity with the single word. Even the man realizes the change, and stops right in his tracks.

Whatever submission this vampire had shown just a minute earlier was now gone, and he knew it.

His face was already turning pale with fear and terror.

"If you don't want to end up a bloodless corpse in a second, then I suggest you run."

The man runs, and Jungkook grips my shoulders so hard that I think they might break.

And then I'm back in my room, head dizzy and feeling deathly nauseous.

"Elle!" He shouts, eyes back to his original color. He looks even more panicked when I nearly tip to the side, his hand reaching out to steady me.

"Why would you do that? Why would you—" He gasps, steps quick as he sets me down on my bed.

"I wasn't even in trouble!"

"Yeah, you were." I say, trying to get the dizziness out of my head. When he starts pacing rapidly in the room, I can't help but think that I was really going to die. The dizziness was strong— was this just the beginning?

"No, I was not." He says as he kneels down in front of me. "Are you okay? How do you feel? Can you breathe— try. Right now."

To my relief, the dizziness eventually subsides, and I look up at him with an exhilarating smile.

He looks back at me like I'm crazy.

"I'm fine, don't worry." I say in the most reassuring manner I can, plopping myself down on the edge of my bed. To be honest, my heart feels like it's going to explode in happiness.

First time. Outside World. No death.

Then I notice the beginning of something purple and blue bloom on the side of his right cheek, and I tap the skin there gently.

"You have a bruise forming."

He brushes my hand away, his expression still silent and expressionless. Jungkook looks serious, which takes me aback. He wasn't usually this quiet and stormy without a good reason.