Miss 69 Degrees

"Oh my Lord."

Jungkook looks to me in surprise as I start pacing all over the floor of his room, panic flashing through me in violent bursts.

"What did I just do? Holy crap— what did I just do?"

He grips my shoulder as my breathing begins to get irregular, his voice soothing and gentle as he draws my body to his chest.

"It's okay, Elle. There's nothing to be worried about. You can stay with us— you don't have anywhere to go, do you?"

I shake my head sheepishly, realizing that I was in Jungkook's room. The air here smells nice— different from the hospital-like smell the oxygen in my previous house had.

A shiver tingles up my spine when I peek through his open curtains, realizing I could see the house I'd just left just a few feet away.

Being so close makes me nervous.

"Here," Jungkook says to me as he draws the curtains together. "Are you feeling okay, though? Nothing wrong?"

"I'm fine, Jungkook. I always was." I breathe carefully— trying to calm down the anger that bubbled up inside me whenever I thought about the lie I'd been living in my entire life.

I'd always been fine.

"You look like a rabbit," I point out abruptly, and he stares at me for a long second before bursting out in giggles.

"I get that a lot. You're so random, Elle. Did you know that?"

"It's true," I shrug as I hop on top of his bed, looking at the tightly drawn curtains. "Jungkook? Can you open the window, please?"

"Sure. Come closer," He says, lifting me up effortlessly as I squeal in surprise. "Come on, Elle. You should open your first window."

A tiny smile dances on my lips as I clutch the windowsill, nodding to his suggestion. I can feel his eyes watching me as I quietly push open the slide of glass.

The fresh air that rushes in is fascinating.

I laugh in ecstasy as I let the gentle breeze ruffle my hair, kiss my face and cheeks. A soft wave of sunlight follows suit, and I see Jungkook step back further in the corner of my eye.

"How does it feel?" He asks, happiness twinkling in his beautiful doe eyes as he  watches me smile until my lips hurt.

"Fantastic."

"Better than me?" He pouts, and laughter fills my lips as I bound over to him, hugging him tightly. Without him, I would've still been oblivious to the lie I'd been living in.

He was my everything now.

"Of course not, Jungkook." I assure him, and his face lights up as he smiles softly.

"If you keep hugging me like that, I might have to bite you, Elle."

He laughs even deeper when I flinch at his unexpected comment. Even though he makes it sound like a joke, I can tell that me being too close to him was triggering his instincts.

I had to keep my distance, even if I didn't want to.

Then the door creaks open, and Jimin walks in, clutching his phone with deathly white hands. He looks almost panicked with his eyes trained on the device, fingers flying across the touchscreen.