Dawn To Morning

The first thing Jin does when he hears about Jungkook's adventure isn't either shock or disgust. Instead, the eldest proceeds to talk the boy's ear off on how he shouldn't have risked himself— that he might've gotten killed.

And then what were we to do?

Through his entire thirty minute lecture, the maknae nods politely as Jin scolds him until he's sure that Jungkook would at least consider before running off somewhere dangerous.

"But they were close?" Hoseok asks, eyes curved down with worry. "If it's in the area, then we might need to refrain from going outside at all."

"We were lucky with you, Tae." Yoongi says, glancing towards Taehyung as he puts away the equipment that turned out to be unnecessary after all. "Maybe the hunters weren't around that time."

A wave of nausea rolls through my stomach, and my head pounds with dizziness at the thought. Using vampires to make a contest for their enjoyment— it was purely sickening.

As if saying out loud had pained him even further, Jungkook's features twist into a wince. He doesn't say another word as he turns away and disappears towards Taehyung's room.

I don't hesitate.

I just go.

From the look he had on his face, the last thing that I wanted to do was to leave him alone with nothing but his own thoughts. I knew from experience that whenever you continued to think about something, it just became worse and worse.

He needed a distraction.

And I could give him one.

My voice is soft and gentle as I silently shut the door behind me, watching his body tense to my scent. It pained me to see that I was a presence in which he had to keep his guard up at all times.

All I wanted was for him to be comfortable.

"Are you okay?" I ask as I sit cross legged opposite from him. Taehyung's room was massive— it could easily fit two of Jungkook's. Some part of me wonders if he has claustrophobia before I dismiss the ridiculous thought.

"I'm fine, Elle."

"When you say it like that?" I say doubtfully, clearly noting the sadness in his tone. "I don't think so."

He tilts his head slightly towards my direction, and I catch a dark glimmer of his dawnlit eyes before his lips purse together.

His voice is quiet, like a star in morning.

"Leave."

My eyes slightly widen, but I ignore the seed of doubt that's growing in my mind. I ignore the fact that maybe coming after him was a mistake that I'd pay for.

I'd stay even if the world fell apart and the dawn in his eyes colored to night.

"No."

Ice coats his voice in shades of blue as his eyes glow silver. It's gone softer than the last— and somehow the quiet feels more dangerous. Threatening.

"Elle," He whispers, every word another shade deeper. "Why are you being like this?"

My fingers find the blankets, desperate to keep myself latched onto something as dread snakes up my spine. What exactly had he seen that was making him act like this?

He'd begun to shake— I could see it in the tips of his fingers, the trembling that even he hadn't noticed. A deep breath escapes my lips as I carefully wrap my arms around his shoulders.